Help please...IE8 crashes javascript/AJAX, and no HTML Editor ()

Help please...IE8 crashes javascript/AJAX, and no HTML Editor ()

by Jeremy Badiner -
Number of replies: 2

I posted this but did not have a "asking for help" title.  Sorry if you already read this, but I am desperate.

Help!

All was going great for a year with my Moodle until Microsoft updated IE8 Security updates in January.  When that happened, I lost the ability to Edit my Moodle.  When I clicked the "Turn Editing On" button, IE8 would lock up, display ("waiting for javascript: false;...") and crash, then try to restore the tab, and repeat (endless circle of IE8 death).  I was not able to edit at all.  After figuring out the Microsoft update caused the issue, I uninstalled the update from all computers, and Turn Editing On worked, but still hangs up partway through the loading of the page.  I still see "waiting for javascript: false;..." on bottom left corner when hang up and then things work. 

The other problem is that now I no longer have the HTML (<>) icon on any assignment editor box.  (I do see them above on THIS box, just not in MY Moodle).  They are all just gone.  I can not embed or use the HTML code.  Does anyone have any idea what I did? 

I am just a teacher, and my Adminstrator can't figure it out either.  We thought it was my Profile, and created a whole new Moodle, transfered assignemnts/kids in, created a new profile for me...with same result.  She even made a new teacher for the site and that profile has same trouble.  Other teachers in my district's Moodle work just fine.  I do not know where to go next.  I can not see the Adminstration tools, so I am in the dark on "code" and all that.

Any ideas?  Please help...

Lost in Moodle world...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeremy Badiner

Re: Help please...IE8 crashes javascript/AJAX, and no HTML Editor ()

by Dave Cuttriss -
Have you tried running IE8 in compatibility mode?
If all else fails can you not use Firefox?
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dave
In reply to Jeremy Badiner

Re: Help please...IE8 crashes javascript/AJAX, and no HTML Editor ()

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Sounds like you might have done a couple of things. Go to Update Profile, do you have - When editing text: Use HTML Editor (For some browsers Only) - selected? We have had students turn off the editor and they just get a text box with no controls.

Then if you uninstalled the recent IE8 or windows updates it should be back to normal working condition. Sometimes when you get desperate, you try clicking this or that and it creates more of a problem.

Good luck. I am in your neck of the woods in Dearborn, MI.