Role - teacher can add but not delete

Role - teacher can add but not delete

by Carol Ibanez -
Number of replies: 10

Hi everyone!

I need to give my teachers the chance to add resources, but I don't want them to be able to delete them. Is there a way to restrict that in the assigning roles part?

Thanks for your help!

Carol Ibanez

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carol Ibanez

Re: Role - teacher can add but not delete

by Randy Orwin -
Hi Carol,

By resources are you talking about allowing teachers to add web pages, links to files or other web pages etc... from the resources drop down menu or to add actual activities from the activities drop down menu or both or something entirely different.

A bit more detail of what you want to accomplish and possibly why you want to do it that way will help the community understand your problem and then help to provide you with a solution smile
In reply to Randy Orwin

by Carol Ibanez -

Hi Randy,

thanks for the quick response. By resources I mean the Resources drop down menu, and not the activities. My course won't use activities as it's only for students to get extra materials. I hope that makes it clear.

My courses are made of files and links to web pages as a "libray" or "resource room" for the students. The courses are already made for the teachers, all the materials are provided by the school. In a couple of weeks I'll have teachers using the moodle courses and although I want to give them the freedom to add more links to web pages and files to the existing ones and those being available in future courses, I don't want them to be able delete anything.

I don't want to have a situations where a teacher says: "oops I deleted the link because the one I use is much better, so I told students about my link and deleted the one you had there." 

Is there a way to do it? Did the explanation make it clearer? Sorry, I haven't been working with moodle long, so sometimes I don't know how to be specific.

Thanks for your help!

Carol

In reply to Carol Ibanez

by Randy Orwin -
Hi again Carol,

I may be mistaken but I don't think there is any way to accomplish what you want to do. The permission that controls this option, moodle/course:manageactivities turns on access to both resources and activities and allows by default creation and deletion of resources. There are no options to control creation and deletion independently, at least that i am aware of.

From my perspective it comes down to a level of trust with your teachers. If you are just using Moodle as a repository of resources rather than a full learning management system then an option is to list all of your resources in a database using the database activity. Using this all of your teachers could add resources but only have the ability to delete their own resources. Now of course if their role is teacher in the course they can delete anybody's resource. Sounds like you might need to rethink how the course will be structured. Hope this helps smile
In reply to Randy Orwin

by ben reynolds -
One way to mediate the potential for deleting items is to do daily backups of each classroom. That way, you only lose resources from the current day.

I also agree with Randy that the database module is probably your wisest choice. http://docs.moodle.org/en/Database_activity_module

Oh, here's an idea. Use database as the only way for teachers to add anything else they want to add. Don't teach them how to edit the classroom at all. They will have no reason to turn editing on.

In fact, just make them students and then they can't edit anything but the stuff they put in the database activity module.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Carol Ibanez -
Thanks for the advice, I'm really going to give the database a try! 
In reply to Carol Ibanez

by Prakash Ilango -

Hi All,

I need the same functionality as Carol had requested.

I wish to have a role that can only add resources on the course. I do not want them to have access to the activities( assignments, quizzes) and also grades.

The teachers want their Graduate Assistants to only be able to add content but not delete them.

Please let me know if setting up this role is possible.

In reply to Prakash Ilango

by Pete Jones -

Hi

I'd also love to have similar functionality to you Prakesh and Carol, but as Randy said the permissions to add, update and delete resources are bundled together in moodle/course:manageactivities.

You can't allow a user to add a resource without them being able to delete it.

I've added a couple of Moodle Tracker posts to see if anyone can look into it.

Check out MDL-26203 and MDL-26202.

Pete

In reply to Pete Jones

by SVI eSolutions -

I think that it would be useful to be able to give independent permissions like add, edit and delete separately but also per activity or resource type... Giving much more flexibility for everyone.

In reply to SVI eSolutions

by Kerstin Namuth -

We agree with the last post. Is that sth under development?

In 2.6 you can choose to allow or prevent teachers from adding resources, but not from deleting.