Cannot log in from home..

Cannot log in from home..

by pete kat -
Number of replies: 8
Hello
students in our school cannot log in from home, the error on their end says that they have typed bad username or password but error in our logs looks like that:

Can not connect to NetGeo server at http://netgeo.caida.org, please check proxy settings or better install MaxMind GeoLite City data file.

is there any fix for that? i have seen related topics on this forum but nothing connected with remote login

any help will be apprecaited

thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to pete kat

Re: Cannot log in from home..

by Jason Jolaoso -
Hello Pete,

Can you indicate if other users can login - i.e Teachers and Admin ?

Also is this the first attempt from any student user to log in - or they have been able to log in before now without issues?

Finally has there been any recent upgrade or tweaking done to/on your moodle site?

Regards

Jason
In reply to Jason Jolaoso

by pete kat -

from log i can see that teachers admins and students are affected i just asked my friend here and he was able to login from home before now he is unable.

In my case i never was able to login and we haven’t change or update anything recently

We have tried changing authentication method to ldap but that didn’t help

Im going to check just now my firewall log and compare dropped address list with moodle log maybe that’s causing the problem

In reply to pete kat

by Jason Jolaoso -
Hello,

Here are a couple of tips you might want to try out:

1. You said your own computer may have a firewall that is causing challenges - although that will be suprising for a huge cross section of your users -.
You can validate this by trying to log-in from a machine wihtout a firewall

2.Have you checked the permissions in your 'moodledata' folder ?
Your web server needs to be able to write to the 'sessions' subdirectory.

3.Finally in In Site Administration--> Server --> Session handling, try setting a value for 'Cookie prefix'. You can also do this by setting $CFG->sessioncookie='something'; in config.php.

Regards

Jason

by pete kat -

i gave the permissions to server itself and iis services for moodledata folder

but that didnt helped

i have change the cookie value but with no luck again

anyway thanks for trying Jason if you got any other ideas im more than happy to try

them smile

In reply to pete kat

by Jason Jolaoso -
No issues.

Did you try loggin in from another machine -without a fire wall - as discussed.

I'm also curious to know if login is 'forced' to be over https?

Regards

by pete kat -

yes i did try multiple machines

to be honest i forgot to ad that i have tried my account which failed and i tried other account on the same computer which worked fine i have compared both accounts and they have got exactly same settings and yes login is forced to be over https

i just have added geolite database to iplookup folder in moodle but that didnt helped either im ready to give up on this one smile

i will try to recreate my account maybe that will help

once again thank You for tips :D

In reply to pete kat

by Faith Moulin -

A few of our students and teachers have encountered a similar problem.  When the first login attempt fails, if the person retypes the username and password and immediately clicks the Home Page link in the upper left hand corner instead of Login, they have been successful in getting in.

In reply to Faith Moulin

by pete kat -
we have solve it guys it was just ldap server setting

in user lookup settings in a field contexts we did have OU mismatch

basically people from different OU was aloud to log in

typing the correct OU in this field solved the problem

best regards
pete