Form module (perhaps part of the data module)

Form module (perhaps part of the data module)

by Teemu Sumi -
Number of replies: 23
I made form module. Form can be public (all course's or group's students can see your answers) or private (only teachers can see your answers) or anonyme (no names and you can't change it back to private). Now you can make only 25 fields. Type 'Radio' has one or more button and the sub headers are separated by '|'. Type 'Select' is not multiselect but it also has sub headers separated by '|'. Field value has no effect on the other field types. Type 'Header' is just to organize things and students can't fill that.

Address: http://moodle.mediamaisteri.com

Course: Demokurssit/Martin's course

Teacher
username: donald
password: dd

Student
username: mickey
password: mm

Don't hesitate to try it!

Teemu
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Teemu Sumi

Re: Form module (perhaps part of the data module)

by Dave Ray -

a wonderful new form. Is this ready for download or included
in 1.4.2 ?

Thanks

In reply to Dave Ray

by Teemu Sumi -
Martin hasn't decided yet wheter it would be a part of data module or could it be a module of it's own. It's not included in 1.4.2. You can't download it yet. I need some feedback first.

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If it starts becoming the Data module then I want it.  I don't want lots of modules that are a bit like the Data module instead.  wink
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Teemu Sumi -
Yes sir! I already have plans to remake form module.

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Bryan Williams -
Teemu,

I have just been playing with your Form module.big grin  Thank you for taking on this project and I really encourage you to continue to work on this.  I am wondering if it is possible to include a property that will send the form results to an e-mail recipient as a delimited file, on submit.

You are the greatest, I really like your work!

Bryan
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Teemu Sumi -
There was too many difficult words. surprise To whom the results should be sent? To the teacher? Should the results be sent to the teacher as an attachment?

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Teemu,

This is great.  Something I have been wishing for for a long time.  My comments:

1.  The only real problem I see is that when the student clicks on the form link, the "first page" of the form includes a Fill this form button, and has the form fields below it.  This is confusing, at first I filled out the fields, then clicked on Fill this form button and thought I was finished with filling out the form.  Only later did I realize I had to click on the Fill this form button first, then fill out the fields, then click on save changes.  And I did this more than once--when testing as a student I forgot and filled in the fields again on the first pageblush--so I think others might do this too.

I think you designed it this way because users can have more than one attempt at filling out a form.  The first time the Fill this form button says: Not started, and on later attempts is says: You can try this again.  And users can see what they have already filled out--this is okay.

But how to change the page when it is a first attempt?  Would it be possible to code it so that if it is a first attempt, then the form fields do not show up on the page?  So a user must click on the Fill this form button, and then they see the form fields and fill them out. 

2.  Would it be possible to have the Feedback from the teacher be an option when setting up a form?  Such as Include feedback?  Yes or no.  So that if you have a form that you will not be giving feedback on, the Feedback line does not show up below the form.

3.  In the public form there is a link for students to View all forms and it seems like one student could change the form of another student.  Is this true?  It shouldn't be possible for a student to have the Save changes button when viewing another student's form should it?  This might cause problems.

Regarding Bryan's suggestion.  You can look at Daryl's Contact Form block.  It has only one text area for comments/questions.  When it is added to a course, then the submit button sends the text area contents to the course teacher in an email.  Maybe Receive forms via email: Yes, No could also be an option when setting up a form.  But this could be something to look at later.  For now, this module is GREAT!  I can't wait to test it on my site!

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Teemu Sumi -
1. I will change the system so that when you fill the form for the first time, it goes to the form filling pages automaticly.

2. I will make the changes so that the feedback field is optional. I will make also feedback field to use html editor, because Janne told why it didn't work.smile

3. Even a teacher can't change student's form. Teachers can only add feedback. Maybe students should not have the right to give feedback at all in public forms. The view page doesn't look very good without actual fields.

I must think about email functions.

Teemu

In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Art Lader -
This is terrific, Teemu. Thank you so much for working on it! smile

-- Art

by Ger Tielemans -
This button on top problem is also happening in the quizz modul.
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Bryan Williams -
With the addition of an email recipient field in Form properties, the person creating the form could specify anyone to receive the data. On submit, all row entries are sent to so-and-so if there is a value in the email field.  
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by W Page -

Hi Teemu!

This is a very nice module.  The modified phpESP mod is also nice except it is not fully integrated into Moodle.  There are also some layout and logistical problems with the phpESP mod.  I just did a mind drain about some of the things I think would be nice in a Forms/Data mod. Some suggestions for the "Forms/Data" mod and some questions.

• Some suggestions for the "Forms/Data" mod

• The SignUp page

• DropDown selectors 

• Some suggestions for the "Forms/Data" mod

1. A location for names (without using much screen space)

1. Some way to fit in with the different ways different cultures display names

1. For example in the U.S. there are many ways to request a name.

First Name

Middle Name

Last Name

First Name

Middle Initial

Last Name

Last Name

First Name

Middle Name

Last Name

Forst Ma,e

Middle Initial

2. Title Fields - Phd, J.D., M.D. etcetera

3. Email field for the person who completes the form

4. Country Dropdown selector

5. Forking <I know future, future, future>

6. Ability to download - CSV, Excel

7. Allow for timed surveys (beginning and ending dates - automatic).

8. Page where one can read submitted responses that has a back button to allow changes before final submission.

9. Page where one can read finally submitted responses.

10. Place where "uploaded" filles would be allowed.

11. Email to whoever - Possibly more than one person - Possibly to the person who filled in form

12. Allow images.

13. Country Dropdown selector

• The SignUp page

Will this mod replace the "SignUp" page so the SignUp page can be customized more?

• DropDown selectors

Will there be an ability to create DropDown selectors?

Can't wait to see how you complete this mod Teemu.  Whatever you decide to do I know it will be nice and functional.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Teemu Sumi -
What do you mean? Where did you find phpESP mod? You can create drop down selectors. I will make many changes so that this could be Data module. Many of your suggestions will be there.

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by W Page -

Hi Teemu!

Check out this link to download the phpESP mod file,
http://moodle.org/download.php/modules/questionnaire.zip

It is listed as Questionnaire on the Activity Modules page,
http://moodle.org/download/modules/

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Teemu Sumi -
Yes I know what is phpESP of questionnaire mod but where did you find modified phpESP module in http://moodle.mediamaisteri.com ? I can say that I didn't install phpESP or didn't check the code of phpESP when I started to work with form module. If it looks the same, it's because there are not so many ways to create form maker tool. It doesn't matter, because phpESP is open source anyway and the code can't be the same. Or do you mean that form module is almost as good as phpESP module? big grin

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by W Page -
Hi Teemu!

Sorry I did not respond sooner.  Been so busy lately.

I believe if you find any helpful code in phpESP as Mike configured it for Moodle you can use it.  Since it is OpenSource. thoughtful

Of course, the Data Module will be more applicable to Moodle.  Especially with you coding it Teemu. smile big grin

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Teemu Sumi -
Well it is not very easy. File uploading and thumbnailing don't work as I expected. sad

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Teemu Sumi -
File uploading problem is solved but it takes at least one week before the first version is ready.

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Jaime Alamo -
Hi Teemu,

It's an excellent work.

I've been looking for it during months and at the present I'm simulating it using the Cloze Quiz (Embedded Answers) like the example I exposed in need for a new module:
Cloze_report_of_experimental_data.png

But in your present Form Module I can't format the whole Form as to get the above looking,  nor to select any appropriated distribution of the entry items.

Also, I would like to have the companion Report module with the answers of all students (that you are thinking about an excel file ...) with the eventual input of gradings.

In reply to Jaime Alamo

by Teemu Sumi -
That can't be done with my future data module. You need a completely new module for that. This kind of tool is not very difficult to do:

First page - You define name,intro,type,how many columns, how many rows
Second page - You write headers of each columns
Third page - You define first row and it could have text parts, number fields and drop down menus
Fourth page - You define second row
Fifth page - As long as there are rows

Unfortunately I don't have time to do it right now.

Teemu

In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Teemu Sumi -
Test site is closed. I am doing improvements now and I hope it will be like Data module soon.

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Thanks for your work on this Teemu.  Even if you cannot create something to equal Martin's plans for the Data module, this is still a great module.  (I would still want it!) Can't wait to see your improvementstongueout

Chardelle

by Art Lader -

> Thanks for your work on this Teemu...

Yes, thank you very much for your time and effort!

-- Art