Questionnaire installation problem

Questionnaire installation problem

by Andra Med -
Number of replies: 12
Have uploaded the questionnaire files to the mod directory, but when I go to the Admin page and click Notifications, nothing happens. Just a blank screen- No tables load.

I've tried removing and re-installing the questionnaires module. Same results.

Any suggestions? Thank you!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andra Med

Re: Questionnaire installation problem

by Jenny Gray -
A blank screen is usually caused by an error in the code which is not being displayed.

In your admin page, click on the Server section of the site admin block and select the debugging link. Make sure the "debug messages" box is set to "normal", "all" or "developer" and the "display debug messages" box underneath is checked.

You might need to remove the questionnaire module before you can do this.

Then when you put it back in again, you should see an error displayed which will help you (or us) work out what's going wrong.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jenny Gray

by Andra Med -
Thanks for telling me about the error message process. That's very helpful.

Got the module loaded this morning-- had missed uploading a file. I'd omitted questiontypes.class in the questiontypes folder.

However, there's still something wrong. When you look for Questionnaire in the drop-down box, you see modulename. Starting the module, instead of Name you see name. And so on.

This looks like php module that's missing or not connecting, perhaps even a table issue.

Checking carefully, I can't find any other missing file. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

In reply to Andra Med

by Andra Med -

My last message didn't display correctly. In the Activity drop-down box, instead of Questionnaire you see bracket bracket modulename bracket bracket. (Double brackets don't seem to display here.)

Similarly, once you start the module, instead of seeing Name you see bracket bracket Name bracket bracket. I would guess that PHP is looking for something it can't find.

Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks! -- Andra

In reply to Andra Med

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Andra,
1. are you absolutely certain you have uploaded the totality of the Questionnaire module files to your Moodle install?
2. which language are you using?
3. can you actually create questionnaires in one of your moodle courses? if so, do you also see double-bracketed labels anywhere else within the Questionnaire module?
A screen shot might help,
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Andra Med -
Hmmm. I'm working in English, and so didn't upload the language files. Could that be an issue?

Have uploaded a screen shots of the screen for building the questions themselves.

I can't get past this screen. There seems to be too much missing.

Thank you-- Andra
Attachment Brackets_Building_Questions.jpg
In reply to Andra Med

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
If you are working with English no need to upload other language files. It is clear from your screenshot that you are missing at least the language files for the Questionnaire module and, if you can't get any further, you are missing other essential files as well... I can only suggest re-uploading ALL of the questionnaire files to your Moodle site.
Joseph

by Andra Med -
Sounds like a good plan. Will do this and report back.

Thanks--
In reply to Andra Med

by Andra Med -
Well, I deleted, then re-uploaded all the files. Still the same problem.

Now, when I clicked on Notifications it gave me the usual messages but didn't rebuild the database tables. So perhaps the problem is in the database section. Everything else has been replaced.

How can I uninstall the questionnaire part of the database, so I can start over from scratch?

Thank you--
In reply to Andra Med

by Joseph Rézeau -

Procedure to un-install and re-install any activity module (e.g. Questionnaire).

1. Go to Administration Modules Activities Manage activities
  2. In the Delete column, click on the link to delete the module
  3. A warning is issued: You are about to completely delete the module 'Questionnaire'. This will completely delete everything in the database associated with this activity module. Are you SURE you want to continue?
  4. After a few instants, this message is displayed: Success / All data associated with the module 'Questionnaire' has been deleted from the database. To complete the deletion (and prevent the module re-installing itself), you should now delete this directory from your server: \moodle/mod/questionnaire
  5. Delete all files
  6. Upload fresh, complete files from the Questionnaire zipped files to your moodle/mod/ folder
  7. Go to Administration/Notifications to re-install the module.

Joseph

by Andra Med -

Excellent. The Moodle delete went well, now to delete the server files and re-load.

Perhaps a related question. My version of mysql may not be UTF- 8 encoded. Could that have possibly caused this malfunction? My site uses no scientific notation.

Just trying to think of any possible cause for the problem-- Andra