Moodle 2.0 release date?

Moodle 2.0 release date?

by Jesse van Herk -
Number of replies: 34
Various places on moodle.org claimed that a beta release was planned for Mar 1 2010. That date has come and gone, without a beta release (not even as a CVS tag).

Can someone provide an updated timeline of when a beta is expected, and update the various spots on the site that are now out of date?

Example URL showing a past date: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=56
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jesse van Herk

Re: Moodle 2.0 release date?

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jesse,

I suggest you have a look at the Moodle 2.0 roadmap on MoodleDocs. You'll find all the information you need about the timeline.

Cheers!

In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Lamar James -
Hi Nicolas,

I looked at Moodle 2.0 roadmap but I don't see the time-line there. Do you know where's the current time-line and the spreadsheet of the work left for 2.0 release?

Cheers!
In reply to Lamar James

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In the Moodle 2.0 release notes it mentions September if that's any help
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marc Grober -
My guess has always been solstice - last month of 2010.
I used to live in Nenana where we have a huge pool on when the ice goes out. Any one live in a place where they can lawfully host such a pool for M^2?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Jesse,

Please check the Roadmap for the most up-to-date release timetable. If you'd like email notification when the page is updated you can watch the page (you'll need to login to Moodle Docs then click the watch tab for the page).

PS Thanks for pointing out that the Testing and QA forum introduction needed updating. I've just done so.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jesse van Herk -
Hi Helen, thanks for fixing that note! It's good to know that a march beta is still expected and that the roadmap will be updated if the schedule changes. I'll watch that doc to make sure I don't miss anything.

by Dominic Bond -
Hmmm! I have been keeping a close eye on the Roadmap over the past year. Has hardly changed in that time. Still at 339.95 person days of work. I am very much in the dark with this? This month? Next month? Next year? It doesnt really tell me anything!

by Bob Puffer -
Not wanting to be the purveyor of news deemed "bad" but desiring to point out what might not be the obvious is that there are currently listed approximately 340 man-days left to complete the tasks on the list. Granted, maybe all of them won't be in the beta but some very important ones are towards the bottom are indicated as crucial and don't have much progress. Additionally, I've had most interaction with programmers in US but have never known one to overestimate the expected effort required so their might be some additional slide to-boot. Believing that 2.0 will be all it aspires to be, with all the changes associated with that monumental progress, we are hoping for production environment by Summer 2011.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Dominic Bond -
Bob
This is very disappointing! We based out decision to go with Moodle (rather than Fronter) on the basis of Moodle 2.0 coming out by December 09. The promised extra functionality gave Moodle the lead. I appreciate the programmers are volunteers and their efforts are greatly appreciated; but considering that the Roadmap page now reads April 10, but you are saying summer 11 the delay and lack of official clarity regarding timing is disappointing.
In reply to Dominic Bond

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Even assuming that the current release target is met, I don't know any institution (currently using Moodle) that's planning to move their production environment over to Moodle 2 any earlier than Summer '11.

It may be an easier transition if you don't already have a Moodle system in place, but where there's a reliance on 3rd party plug-ins and local customisations, the general consensus among my local user group is that anything sooner is too soon.
In reply to Mark Johnson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Also my experience. It's now the advice I am giving people (who ask) too.

I'm not sure I have a useful opinion on the ambitiousness of Moodle 2 versus the time it has taken. 1.9 has been a very good release and this has taken away the heat but, unfortunately, the killer features of Moodle 2.0 have been "just around the corner" for years now and we've reached the "I'll believe it when I see it" point for many.

Still, I'm sure we'll be all happy when it appears.

Somebody considering Moodle *today* should still look at 1.9 which remains a very capable option indeed.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Howard, well put. I would go further and say that anyone considering Moodle today (or for a year or two in the future) should look at 1.9 as it is a very capable LMS in general and the support and community supporting it are great.

Moodle2.0 will be awesome I'm sure. But there will most certainly remain benefits to using pre2.0 versions (pool of resources/modules available, community, courses available, FTP, differences in file structure, etc.).

Moodle "throwback" will have a lot of shelf life.

That being said, I'm already excited at what I've seen of 2.0 and it's release will be a great day for Moodlers everywhere.
In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Randy Orwin -
I too am really looking forward to Moodle 2.0 but won't be upgrading for some time after it comes out. I have recommended to numerous individuals that are looking at Moodle to just go ahead and start with the 1.9 series. Anybody in my situation, running a number of non-standard modules and some core hacks, will definitely want to take a wait and see approach after 2.0 hits the street giving the non-standard module developers time to get things working with 2.0.
In reply to Dominic Bond

by Bob Puffer -
From what I know of Moodle and Frontier I can say with a good deal of assurance you won't be disappointed in the end.
In reply to Dominic Bond

by Gus S. Calabrese -
I cannot be disappointed in a great effort put out by volunteer programmers. If one is keen on a 2009 December release date , then one is advised to step up to the plate with $$$. Moodle is great for me and I thank everyone who has worked on it.

Gus
In reply to Gus S. Calabrese

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Dominic - I would rather wait another whole 12 months for Moodle 2.0 than have gone for Fronter and regret it...
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Dominic,

I have been following the development planning for Moodle 2.0 and am very impressed with the ambitious changes that have been proposed. Some of the changes have been added in the last six months, so it does not surprise me that more time is needed than stated in early plans.

At the last iMoot, Martin said they were planning a beta in March and release in July. However, I wouldn't mind if another 2-3 months were added to that.

Actually, most of the development work is not done by volunteers but by salaried employees of the Moodle Trust (Moodle HQ). These tireless workers get modest support from donations and income for the tithing (10% of income) that Moodle Partners send in to Moodle HQ. If you are concerned about the speed of development, I would consider a donation, preferrably an annual one from your school. In this way, Moodle HQ will have more options in hiring staff.

Cheers,
Don
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dominic Bond -
Hi Mary,
I definitely think Moodle is very good product and superior to Fronter! I am sorry to say though that the folks at London Grid for Learning are far less enlightened regarding VLEs than their counterparts at Lancs having gone for Fronter in London. Our school could have received Fronter free of charge but decided to go with Moodle as it is a superior product. Many teachers though have difficulties with the process of downloading files (such as MS Office Docs), making amendments and re-uploading to Moodle. The promise of a quick way to save amended documents to Moodle in ver 2.0 is what swayed it to Moodle for us. The current lack of this function is holding back Moodle from many of our teachers and this is the only reason why I am anxious to get 2.0.
Thanks for your helpful posts.
Regards
Dominic
In reply to Dominic Bond

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Dominic,

To get around having to download files to edit and then re-upload them, why do you not try and get your teachers to use the web page resource instead of uploading word documents?

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Dominic Bond -
Hi Jon,

Since we have Google Docs integrated in our VLE linking a G/Doc that can be changed at will would have been a very good solution. Sadly few, if any of our teachers will go for it!
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Jesse van Herk -
If you do the math on how many of those man-days they're getting through each month, they won't finish until late 2013. It seems likely they will cut features in order to hit a less ridiculous release date than that.

by Dominic Bond -
The person days have just dropped by almost 100 to c. 242. Things are beginning to look up! smile
In reply to Dominic Bond

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
They've probably been too busy working on the code to remember to update the spreadsheet recently wink
In reply to Dominic Bond

by Jesse van Herk -
Is there any way to see what items got updated/dropped to change it by 100 days? It would be nice to know what code has been newly marked as done.

by Tim Hunt -
Well, it is a Google docs spreadsheet, so history is tracked. However, I don't enough to know who can see the list of changes.

The HQ developers have a weekly meeting that used to be on a Monday, but is now on a Thursday. That is when the sometimes go through the spreadsheet and update the % complete on each task. However, they don't do that every week.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jesse van Herk -
Tim, assuming you can see the history, can you post a summary of this most recent 100+ day change?

by Tim Hunt -
Oh yes, you need edit rights to see the history. And I still seem to have editing rights.

I have never played with Google docs history before. It is quite nice.

As far as I can see. Almost all the changes were updates to the percentages, and the comments, to reflect the current situation.

The rows added or removed were that MNet row that was added, and a duplicate gradebook row that was removed.

by Jesse van Herk -
April 2010 has come and gone without a beta. Can someone update the roadmap/schedule documents (again) to reflect the new expected schedule? Thanks!

by greg mushial -

Jesse -

The operative question is: what's more important - a version of Moodle, called 2.0.0, which is out on a particular date; or, a version 2, which is at least a stable/usable as 1.9.7+.

As someone which has spend 2+ decades writing code, and another 2 managing software projects - given the size of the undertaking of ver 2.0, I've been very concerned about the development team has even hinted at a release date. For people needing a stable, robust production version: 1.9.7+ or 1.9.8 will get you on down the road for at least the next year. My concern is: Moodle ver 2 is a major release, many from brand "A", brand "B", brand "W", currently unhappy with their current LMSs will be looking at 2 and judging Moodle in toto by what they see. A premature release of 2 can set Moodle back years in terms of its reputation. Please don't encourage the dev team to release anything, until they're happy with it (even if that takes another year - seriously).

"Users will remember for almost forever a bad/broken release; but will quickly forget that a stable/fine/working release was a year late" (quoting myself)  For too many years I watched managers getting sacked: for releasing software, that in reality wasn't even at the beta level, but was "on time".

We're happily on 1.9.7+, and expect to stay there until at least autumn semester 2011 (northern hem)....  but will keep an eye on 2.0 as it evolves over the next 12-18 months. We see no reason to subject our students to the latest and greatest (ie, most broken, and forcing them to play beta testers), when the current version is vastly superior to anything brand "A", "B" or "W" has to offer...

stepping off his soapbox...  greg

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to greg mushial

by Jesse van Herk -
I know the developers are working hard to deliver, and will (hopefully) only release when it's actually ready. However, I'm concerned with the inaccurate dates being advertised - if the devs don't know when a beta will be released, then they should say that. The way things stand, someone coming into moodle who is not aware of how the project is being run will have unrealistic expectations and will be turned off of the product when promised releases fail to materialize. Being honest about their release schedule would be much more likely to bring in new users and build trust among existing ones.

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Please have a little patience... expect an official announcement regarding release dates very soon......

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The release schedule isn't 'dishonest', it's decided by the key developer(s). Developers always tend to be overoptimistic about schedules. smile

I agree this may confuse or disturb people who are new to the project, which is unfortunate. My own opinion is that in future no dates (no specific dates, no months, no seasons, no years) should be given out at all for any future release including 2.1. Or the development plan page should have a massive heading at the top that says something like 'These dates are aspirations. Previous releases have been up to 18 months later than the initial proposed release date, so please take this into account by adding 18 months if relying on any of these dates for your planning' or whatever.

The beta will actually be out soon, anyhow.

--sam
In reply to sam marshall

by greg mushial -

Sam -

I have to grin...  when I was a codewriter I always thought my estimates of code completion were pretty good [and always felt that any delay in delivery was because of management changing the feature-set after the fact]...  but when I played manager, in order to cover my tail with those above me: the standard rule was: take the codewriter's estimate, double the quantity and move to the next larger units, eg, "it'll be done in 1 week, meant: 2 months; 2 months meant: maybe sometime next year". But then again, writing code is not like turning n widgets on a lathe, but more like artwork...  does anyone ask an artist when a painting will be done? Or if they did, would they be surprised by an answer of the form: it'll be done, when it's done?

As I said previously: we're very happy with 1.9.7+, will keep an eye on ver 2, but don't plan to move to such for at least a year, maybe 2. To the development team: keep up the great work, you're making the teaching world a better place because of your efforts, and you continue to put brand "A", "B" and "W" to shame...  and don't worry about the clock - only release ver 2 when the bug list is empty, and the product is polished - much of the online world will be judging Moodle, the product, by what 2.0.0 looks like...  you only get one chance at a first impression - make it a good one! (read differently: make it so perfect that brand "A", "B" and "W" have to hide in shame given the comparision).

greg