Default Certificate Settings

Default Certificate Settings

by Larry Lippke -
Number of replies: 3
I would like to change default certificate settings. For example, when a teacher adds a certificate to a course, I would like the "Save Certificates" setting to be defaulted to Yes. Many of our teachers overlook this setting. I have tried changing the default in the database, but it seems to have no effect. Are these defaults established somewhere in the php code? If so, where?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Larry Lippke

Re: Default Certificate Settings

by E. L. Cooper -

I have not tested this but I am pretty sure it is here- mod/certificate/db/install.xml on the line

FIELD NAME="savecert" TYPE="int" LENGTH="2" NOTNULL="true" UNSIGNED="true" DEFAULT="0" SEQUENCE="false" ENUM="false" PREVIOUS="emailothers" NEXT="reportcert"/>

Change the default to 1

As alway YMMV and test on a non production server. Normally I test my suggestion before making them but I am buried in work right now.

In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Larry Lippke -
It appears that this file is used during installation of the certificate module to create the database tables that support it. I had already gone into the underlying database and changed that default value to "1", but it had no effect when actually adding a certificate to a course. Changing it in this install file had no impact either. This is what makes me think there is scripting somewhere that is overriding this database setting.
In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Larry Lippke -
After much searching, I found these default parameters being set in mod/certificate/mod_form.php. Specifically in the following lines:

$mform->addElement('select', 'savecert', get_string('savecertificate', 'certificate'), $ynoptions);
$mform->setDefault('savecert', 1);
$mform->setHelpButton('savecert', array('save', get_string('savecertificate', 'certificate'), 'certificate'));

Where the setDefault('savecert', 1) was originally set to 0. Setting it to 1 has done the trick.