Global brainstorming sessions

Global brainstorming sessions

by Ryan Chadwick -
Number of replies: 2
Hi all,

I am seeking educators that may want to get involved in global brainstorming sessions for topics relevant to educators.

Late last year I started running brainstorming sessions for teachers in our local area so that we could get a better understanding of the creative process and how to do brainstorming more effectively. We are discussing topics that are of interest to us and use a different brainstorming technique each month.

You can check out what we've been doing at:

http://brainstorming.mintranet.com.au

(go to the Teachers Brainstorming area)

Recently I had the idea of going global with this. What I would like to do is get other groups started in other countries. Every month we will all hold a brainstorming session for our local area (doesn't have to be on the same day), covering the same topic. We can use similar or differing brainstorming techniques and can discuss and share our experiences after.

If you are interested in forming such a group I'm interested in hearing from you.
If you know someone who may be interested could you pass this onto them.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ryan Chadwick

Re: Global brainstorming sessions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Have you come across #edchat on twitter? http://teacherbootcamp.edublogs.org/2009/07/30/what-is-edchat/

Sounds a bit similar to what you are proposing, only using twitter.
Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Global brainstorming sessions

by Ryan Chadwick -
It's similar but not really the same thing.

What we are primarily doing is in person brainstorming and then sharing experiences on the website. The aim is to learn more about the art of brainstorming (both in person and on-line), the topics are just a nice side benefit.

We have found that applying a little bit of structure forms a nice catalyst and leads to better material as output. We are excited to see how far we can take this as the more sessions we are running the better we are getting at it.

General discussion is great, and the more the better obviously. It tends to be critical in nature though (we are sharing experiences and judging what others have done which indeed is valuable but we want to go further). We have an interest in looking forward and exploring what has not been created yet. We are finding great value in these idea generating methods and are keen to share and expand with as many people as possible.

We are starting to take what we are learning here and applying it back into what we do in both the classroom and on VLE's in interesting ways.