need shopping cart module

need shopping cart module

by ashraf soliman -
Number of replies: 27

can anyone help me to plug-in module for shopping cart and provide payment to local bank account.

plz help

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ashraf soliman

Re: need shopping cart module

by Richard Standen -
Hi Ashraf

Moodle has a Paypal and Authorize.net capability built-in. It works fine - check out http://docs.moodle.org/en/Paypal. You connect a bank account to a Paypal account, so would be able to withdraw funds to a local bank account.

We offer a shopping cart called Course Merchant. It allows the build of a more sophisticated shopping catalog if this is what is needed - it integrates with Moodle.

Please email if you require further info on this.

All the best

Richard
richard [at] coursemerchant.com
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Standen

by ashraf soliman -

Hi Richard

Course Merchant is not free, isn't it ! so I want free one allow visa and master card. I know that paypal is not supported in Egypt, so we think about contract with a bank gateway.

can you help me

by Richard Standen -
Hi Ashraf

I would suggest you look at Moneybookers (http://www.moneybookers.com/app/) - we have a Romanian customer about to start using them with Romanian currency (RON). Whether they support Egyptian merchants, I don't know - you'd have to contact them.

Also try 2checkout - they seem to support a lot of international users (http://www.2checkout.com/community/blog/category/getting-started/international-issues), I'm afraid I have no experience using them yet though.

Also worth looking at are RBS Worldpay (http://www.rbsworldpay.com/index.php), though I can't see Egypt listed on their site. Would be worth a call to them too though as I know they have quite a lot of international support and we've used them with an Italian customer as well as UK ones.

Hope that helps!

Richard

by Stuart Mealor -
There are numerous free and open source carts available.

So I don't think the first response which promoted the users own paid solution only was an appropriate first response to a very general question (although it was followed up later with a wider-ranging response).

A useful starting point for further investigation might be:

http://webtecker.com/2008/04/22/8-best-open-source-shopping-cart-solutions/

I have heard good things about Magneto, Zen Cart, and osCommerce.

Stuart smile
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

+1 for ZenCart.

We have used it for several projects. It is reasonably easy to get along with yet is highly configurable. We have done some integration with Moodle but only for specific projects so no generic module at this stage (although, hopefully when I get some time).
In reply to Howard Miller

by Maryel Mendiola -

Hi everyone smile

There is a shopping cart for Wordpress and also a shopping themes

complementing the list of free software :

Digistore Ecommerce

VirtueMart

Satchmo

closedShope

cheers
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Maryel Mendiola

by Julian Ridden -
A good combination I like is Virtuemart sitting in a Joomla install. Then using Joomdle to syncronise the two together.
In reply to Julian Ridden

by chris rogers -
Hi Julian,

Have you implemented this in production already? I do not recall seeing your name over at Joomdle. I would love to hear your experiences with this combination and how you think we can further improve it.

Thanks

Chris
In reply to Maryel Mendiola

by ashraf soliman -

Hi julian and Maryel

I asked about if VirtueMart compatible with moodle, I don't use Joomla. If it sells courses, enroll users to their purchased courses and support pay online with visa and mastercard, it will be excellent. then one thing will be remaining to me is to support selling courses by mobile.

plz tell me if VirtueMart with moodle contains these features or not.

by chris rogers -
Hi Ashraf,

Virtuemart works as a Joomla extension so you will need to have Joomla AND Moodle setup followed by Joomdle to integrate the three together if you go down that path.

If you are not a Joomla site nor intend to be one, then Virtuemart is not an option.

The Joomdle, Joomla, Moodle, Virtuemart solution does just want you ask. Auto publish moodle courses in the e-commerce front end. Allow purchases through paypal (or other payment systems), auto enroll users. But again, if you are not a Joomla user than this option seems like a very long winded way when there are other e-commerce systems that work directly with Moodle. As such I would not recommend you install Joomla just to get e-commerce.

Joomdle is also looking at Tienda and has already started on this, however, the release date will be dependent upon Tienda's release schedule. Note: Tienda is a pure a Joomla e-commerce solution as well.

Regards,
Chris
Joomdle Team

by ashraf soliman -

Hi Howard

what steps to integrate zencart with moodle. if anyone know the genric module of zencart that integrated succefully with moodle, please help me because Iam not moodle developer.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
We have:

* SSO, Zencart -> Moodle
* User profile synchronisation, both ways
* Zencart products linked (via part number and course id) to Moodle. User accounts and enrolments are created automatically.
* Basic xmlrpc web services both ways to control all of this

I don't necessarily want this to come over as an advert but we are in a position to build projects based on this work. Unfortunately - unless someone pays for it - it's unlikely that we would have the time to put this together as a sensible, documented plugin. Not in the near future anyway - too much other stuff.

by ashraf soliman -

Hi Howard,

Is integration between zencart and moodle not smooth and need a lot of work because I'm not moodle developer.

by Howard Miller -
Hi Ashraf,

I'm sorry, I may have mislead you. We have (commercially) integrated the two. The code is technically open-source but requires further work to unravel from the rest of the project it was part of and also to provide documentation and support.

We would be delighted to complete this work but - of course - someone would have to pay for this.

I don't want to give the impression I'm touting for business. I'm not. However, if someone is going to pay for a commercial solution anyway, this may be an option as the project is (probably) three-quarters done.

I'm not aware of any other currently available connector for the two. Also (a more general point), most projects that promise SSO often are not.

Howard

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Howard,

A little off-topic; but how do you find Zen Cart? I was looking at it the other day but was a little put off as there have been no file releases since 2007.

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Stuart Mealor -
I don't think that's really off-topic - seems highly relevant!

Jon is correct, the download file appears to be dated: 12112007 (v1.3.8)

So that might be a real worry, as changes in PHP for example might cause problems.

Roadmap update (1st August 2008) suggest 1.4 would be released shortly.
Now changed to be 2.0
(But still no sign of it?)

Clearly there have been some patch releases (4th Jan 2010 was the latest I think).
So there is some work being continued.

Perhaps I am being overly cautious, and that v1.3, with patches, is doing a fine job anyway ?

Stu
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Andrea Bicciolo -
We are currently developing a course shop module for Moodle. It builds upon the original idea of David Mudrak and adds support for pluggable payments plugin, coupons, discounts, course shopping details (such as images, availability, date), order management, etc. We are testing it under load and usage scenarios.

We preferred the approach to fully integrate shopping cart module rather than connecting an external system mostly to reduce the system management, avoid pitfalls coming from stopped or too slow updates of an external system and use the same users base from Moodle.
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by Stuart Mealor -
Awesome Andrea !

There are number of keys you have shown here:
1. Fully integrated (much better option for Moodle Admins who are not highly technical)
2. Easy 'in Moodle management'
3. Avoiding having to link to external systems - which doubles the potential problems
4. Same user database - sweet and simple

Although a number of individuals and organisations have started work on this, or at least starting 'discussing it'(!), it is great to see this initiative.

We would be happy to test once you have something relatively stable !

Can I get a preview somewhere?

Stuart smile
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by Sue M. -
Any news on this? I've been looking at open source shopping carts and finding that the integration with moodle is mostly something I'd have to code myself (which isn't possible, not my skill set!). Looked at Course Merchant and while it's got everything I need it's very cost-prohibitive for my new start up site.

So if you have something in the works or finished, I'd love to hear more about it.

by A Teinc -

Dear Howard,

I am new to Moodle, but also have Zen Cart on my website

Would you be so kind to provide direction how to integrate the two?

My desire is for users to select the course, complete any (first time)  account information, pay for the course & be enrolled going directly to the course content..All in one easy step.

Thank you so much for any guidance..

by A Teinc -

Dear Howard,

I am new to Moodle, but also have Zen Cart on my website

Would you be so kind to provide direction how to integrate the two?

My desire is for users to select the course, complete any (first time)  account information, pay for the course & be enrolled going directly to the course content..All in one easy step.

Thank you so much for any guidance..

In reply to Richard Standen

by Under Dog -
Hey Ashraf,

Even though Course Merchant is not free, it is well worth the money. If you investigate further, I'm sure you will find that the cost/benefit ratio will be tilted in your favour.

These guys at Course Merchant are great with their support and helpful, no matter what you throw at them!

Even so, if you are looking for 'free', there are some other alternatives that may suit your needs, but Course Merchant ticked all the boxes for us.

Good luck in your future ventures!

-Wisedave
In reply to Under Dog

by Brett Hallongren -
I agree with Dave. We have used Course Merchant for a couple months now and have been very happy.

We had been looking for a solution for quite some time before deciding to try Course Merchant.

Unfortunately in the shopping cart realm you do get what you pay for. Course Merchant may not be free but it has saved us money in the long run because we do not lose customers due to a difficult enrollment process now.
In reply to Brett Hallongren

by Ann Morgan -

Hi Brett, One quick question ... does my Moodle have to be hosted with a specific hosting company in order to use Course merchant?  My administrator said, after a conversation with a representative,

"Basically, CM is a plugin that (hosting company) can install in the Moodle instances that THEY host. The person I talked to was not sure how this would work with Moodle sites that they do not host." 

This seems totally off to me.

Thanks,

Ann

In reply to Ann Morgan

by Ann Morgan -

BTW the representative was from a hosting company, NOT a representative from Course Merchant.

I didn't want anyone to think the comment came from CM.

Thanks!

In reply to Ann Morgan

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well, it looks as if it will work with any Moodle or related site (Totara etc), but as its commercial software, you really need to ask them directly.

In reply to Ann Morgan

by David Hill -

Ann, to clear this up: Course Merchant integrates with any instance of Moodle. We can host a Moodle for a customer if they don't have one, but the majority of Course Merchant customers have their own Moodle - which can be hosted almost anywhere - and buy Course Merchant separately.

Thanks.