Installing Custom Block

Installing Custom Block

by Blair F. -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I am working with the tutorial on developing blocks (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Blocks) and have installed as shown in the instructions at the end of the sample php file (see below) but I cannot figure out where to find it now. It doesn't show up on the blocks drop-down list, or in Admin Manage Blocks area. I remembered to rename my file block_myname.php.
Where should I be able to find this new block?

// That's all! Copy the directory of your block (you didn't forget to rename it from NEWBLOCK, did you?)
// into your /moodle/blocks/ directory and visit your site's administration screen to see the results! smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Blair F.

Re: Installing Custom Block

by Steve Ricketts -

I've always had to go to the Notifications link to get it recognized the first time.

sr

In reply to Steve Ricketts

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Thanks, Steve. And, then where do you see it? I am assuming it should show up in the drop-down list and/or under the Manage Block. But I still don't see it after I go to the Notifications link, so I must be doing something wrong.
In reply to Blair F.

by Stuart Buck -
Blair, do you get a success message when you click on notifications. If a block adds a new table, it reports, "table added successfully" but I'm sure all blocks should report a success message when added.

After adding the block, return to the home page, turn editing on and you should see it listed at the bottom right in the blocks block. Select it and it will add an instance of it to the home page.