Exporting a wiki

Exporting a wiki

by Andrea Hall -
Number of replies: 9
Hi,
I wanted to see if I could export an individual wiki to my computer (like a student finishing a project and wanting to keep the data). One wiki that had text only on the page and daughter pages saved okay; but not the one with embedded photos (as with 'allow binary files')

Any suggestions on how to save these?
Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrea Hall

Re: Exporting a wiki

by Marc Grober -
there are quite a few options for manipulating wiki data in a variety for formats, but I am unclear on what exactly you want to accomplish. From where is the wiki coming and to where do you want it to go (assuming as I believe you suggest it started as a wiki and you want to keep it as a wiki.)

In reply to Marc Grober

by Judy Steidl -
I have 25 wikis on my Moodle front page and I want to move them to a course. Is there a way to do this?

In reply to Judy Steidl

by Marc Grober -
I've never put a wiki on the front page, but are you suggesting there is something about frontpage wikis that would preclude you from backing up the wiki and restoring it elsewhere, as in another course?
In reply to Marc Grober

by Judy Steidl -
I was wondering if there was a file management page where the wikis were listed and a drop-down box where I could select them to transfer to another course. I have never seen the back-up files although I have them backed up on a daily basis. And I don't think I know how to install an established wiki into a new course.

By your response, I am guessing that wikis can be backed up individually and restored--I have never done it before.
In reply to Judy Steidl

by Marc Grober -
I thought someone had done a FAQ about this but I couldn't find it so if it's there it might as well not be ;) but the is the backup and restore functions. From in your course click on backup item in your adminmenu and just back up the activity you want to copy or move. Then restore that activity to the new location. It might be a little scary to start, but be brave of heart and it will become 2md nature soon enough.
In reply to Marc Grober

by Andrea Hall -
Hi Marc-
The wiki is in an ordinary moodle course- a student project on a wiki with several daughter pages and with photos embedded in them. I want to 'export' them onto my computer, and therefore see them using frontpage or whatever.
In reply to Andrea Hall

by Marc Grober -
Ahhhh, you didn't mean moodle frontpage, you were talking bout that horrid ms app....

So you want to export an entire wiki in one step to something viewable and editable outside the wiki? Still don't understand why you want to view wiki outside moodle on your desktop, nor what you may want to do with besides view it, but...

That continues to be a challenge even for mediawiki. There are php scripts and now a python library for use at command line, but they are not for newbies and would have to be tweaked hard to work with erfurtwiki in moodle.

There are ways to play with httrack or wget, but getting such to work inside moodle could be painful.

It might be easy enough to write a script to run the wikis tree inside moodle, saving the pages as HTML in a target directory (there are quite a few site rippers around). For moodle it would have to handle moodle file access but that should not be a major obstacle. So.... double ck modules db and if there is nothing there ck to see if this will be a feature of nwiki (if not suggest it-though I think export to odt makes most sense).

In the interim you can a) print to PDF pg by pg , b) copy and paste from htmlarea pg by pg, c) dump XML and try to make sense of it

or you can install moodle on your workstation and backup and restore wiki to new moodle in new course
In reply to Marc Grober

by Andrea Hall -
Hi Marc the reason is- after a student has finished his/her course on Moodle and had a really cool project s/he did in the course, and wants to keep it, how does he do it? I had assumed 'export' would do the trick. Looks like the answer is no!

So the only way students can keep projects is by somehow designing them on Mahara???
In reply to Andrea Hall

by Marc Grober -
Your conclusion is inconsistent with the data presented.

But, there is no silver bullet 'at present'.

Nwiki promises to be mediawiki like which holds some promise, but for now the student could easily move each wiki page to HTML in under a minute a page-considering how most students spend their time, I'd say that was acceptable.