Wrong overall average (moodle 1.9.7+)

Wrong overall average (moodle 1.9.7+)

by José Torres -
Number of replies: 7
Hi again everyone,
please take a look at this:

pantallazot.jpg

It's just one student and one assignment in moodle 1.9.7+. The max grade for both the assignment and the course is 10.

I used to have categories, quizzes, students and stuff to make the gradebook look real (currently I'm only testing things), and the averages seemed to be doubled. Thinking I might have messed up the aggregation modes or something, I reduced the gradebook to its minimum expression, but it's still giving doubled averages.

How is this row being calculated?
In reply to José Torres

Re: Wrong overall average (moodle 1.9.7+)

by Benjamin Young -
I've had similar issues with the grade book but my course total is not being calculated correctly. A student will take 5 quizzes and no matter what he/she gets the total for the course is 100.

E.g.

60 | 100 | 86 | 70 | 100

course total will be 100

Does anyone have a solution for this?
In reply to Benjamin Young

by Benjamin Young -
Found a solution to my problem.

I had to adjust/set the settings within the course.

within the course from the grade books "categories and items: full view"

changed the Aggregation for the course to "Mean of grades" and added a check in Aggregate only non-empty grades for the course.

for each quiz category I left the Aggregation set to "Simple weighted mean of grades".
In reply to José Torres

by Elena Ivanova -
very weird. sad
Cannot replicate at all on 1.9.7.
Aggregation should not influence the display of the average for a given column (it influences display of the course total)
So this course has only one student? Does this happen in other courses?
Attachment ScreenHunter_01_Mar._31_14.01.gif
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by José Torres -
Hi!
I'm sorry I haven't being visiting the forum lately--last week was vacation time in Spain (living in a catholic country has its advantages! hehehe)

About this thread, nevermind. I put my moodle under SVN and checkouted it in another server. Guess what. You'll never guess. Yes, it worked fine in that other machine. Then deleted the original installation, checkouted it back in the original machine et voilà. What happened? We'll never know risa

Cheers!
In reply to José Torres

by Terrance Millet -
A couple of things.

The default value in the cells with the hyphen present is excused. you have to enter a 0 for example is a student misses an assignment.

When we enter a student’s score on the grid after a test or assignment, that number will indicate not only the student’s performance on that item, but in some cases also indicate her overall performance on the course, based on that item alone.

If a student is missing an assignment, we must manually enter the appropriate cell on the grade book and enter a “0”.

The hyphen that is already in the cells by default simply takes the cell(s) out of the total calculation.

What This Means

If you have ten assignments for the course, each graded out of 10 points, for a course total for 100 points, and a student hands in only one assignment on which he scored 9, then his course grade will read as 90% or A- even though he did only 10% of the course work.

You must open the other cells and enter a “0”.

Also, if you hit the NEXT page or Previous Page before hitting the UPdate button, all the entries on the pages disappear with the page change.

Onward!
Terrance

In reply to Terrance Millet

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Terrance,
You can unchek "Aggregate only non-empty grades" in Categories and Items interface.
Then, the "missing" grades will be treated as zeros.

If you do not see that option or want to it to be defaulted to being unchecked,then your admin will need to change settings for your installation.

Attachment 16Scr_Apr._06_17.05.jpg
In reply to José Torres

by Elizabeth Senger -
I had the same problem.  For me what resolved it was to set a Grade to Pass for the category for the course itself.  Then the empty grades were included in the calculation and everything worked fine.  I also turned off the Aggregate Non-Empty Grades option.