Desktop sharing application for Moodle

Desktop sharing application for Moodle

از Hafsa Yasin در
Number of replies: 7

Hi Everyone,

Anyone know of any good desktop sharing application that can be intregrated into moodle?

It would be good if the application is free of charge and does not require the student to install any software on their end ( or its VERY easy to set up).

Also if it has a whiteboard capability that would be good too.

Thanks.

big grin

میانگین امتیازات: -
In reply to Hafsa Yasin

Re: Desktop sharing application for Moodle

از Nadav Kavalerchik در
تصویر Core developers تصویر Plugin developers تصویر Testers تصویر Translators
Skype does Desktop sharing (It is not Open Source, but it is free)

There is also jrDesktop which is very very cool and useful.
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

از Hafsa Yasin در
Yeah they sound good. We might end up using them if nothing works out. Do they have a whiteboard feature as well?

Also, are there anymore applications that can be intregrated with moodle?
In reply to Hafsa Yasin

از Matt Bury در
تصویر Plugin developers
Hi Hafsa,

I'm not sure if you can perform desktop sharing without installing some kind of software. There's a free web service that allows you to transmit your desktop view (live screencasting) over the web and also includes an interactive WhiteBoard: http://www.tokbox.com/ It uses open protocols and is friendly to Jabber, GoogleTalk, YIM, AIM, etc. but not Skype. Skype is a very closed protocol so you can only really do Skype to Skype stuff with it.

There isn't a Moodle integration available for it though. There really should be.

Another option is DimDim. They have a Moodle integration module but I haven't been able to find sufficient documentation to get it to work. If you do, please let us know!

I hope this helps.

Matt لبخند
In reply to Hafsa Yasin

از Stuart Mealor در
Yeah, I agree with Matt here - Tokbox is good.

And also, Dimdim should be good but is still too complex to set-up for most users.

WiZiQ (http://www.wiziq.com) also has a whiteboard, and has just been upgraded, and also an updated Moodle plugin released. (I haven't used the upgrades yet but we have used WiZiQ and it's pretty good).

Worth investigating?

Stu لبخند
In reply to Stuart Mealor

از Hafsa Yasin در
Does anyone here know whether we need to install and run DimDim server on our servers? If yes that what are the OS/software requirements? (Win server? Java? etc).

Thanks.

(Deleted HTML code Chris Collman - original submission Wednesday, 24 March 2010, 04:55 PM)

In reply to Hafsa Yasin

از Hafsa Yasin در
Also, I am a little unsure about the process of setting DimDim meetings with individual users. By the looks of things, you can add a DimDim activity in Moodle, however, this is a common link for ALL students. So if a teacher wants to have his scheduled class 1-on-1 with a student at 6pm time, its not possible. All students will see the link and are able to click it. Is it not possible to have individualised links?