PDF Cut and Paste Prevention

PDF Cut and Paste Prevention

by Vincent K -
Number of replies: 6
I want to upload some proprietary documents that I would like to prevent cutting and pasting. The documents are in pdf, and I can carry over disallowing printing from the pdf security settings, but I cannot get the text copy prevention to carry over when I upload my documents to Moodle. Another method is to upload jpeg images, but these can only be done one at a time, and printing cannot be prevented.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vincent K

Re: PDF Cut and Paste Prevention

by Gavin Henrick -
Picture of Plugin developers
Nothing to do with Moodle, but there is nothing to stop printing and copying from a PDF if someone wants to.

If they can see it on the screen, they can scrape it, OCR it, rip it, convert it, screendump it, video it, and a multitude of techniques to see the data.

When putting content online, you perhaps should consider admin time and maintainability over security which is so easily bypassed. PDFs are great for pixel-perfect printing for documents, but often a 2-3 pager pdf, would be better and more accessible and more easily edited/enhanced, if done as a web page resource.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gavin Henrick

Svar: Re: Links in PDF document

by Ray Arnoldson -
Hi! I am interested in What way you can set a link in a PDF-document to open in a new window. This is becouse i want the first page whit all links to stay open even if i close the other doc's with the "Red Cross" up in the rightmoust corner.
In reply to Vincent K

by Erlyn Baack -

I don't know if this will work for your purposes, but I use PDFTK to withhold copy/paste on PDF documents, and it's just as easy to withold printing or allow degraded printing as well.  (Degraded printing looks like the old 9-pin dot matrix printing.) 

Obviously as Gavin said, anything can be defeated, and I discovered by accident how to overcome the "disallow copy" command-PM me for that.

PDFTK is at http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/ .

A "withhold copying" file is here: http://eslbee.com/transitions.pdf .

In reply to Erlyn Baack

by Paul Holden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
As Gavin mentions, there are no technical restrictions you can put in place that will be effective against a determined user.

As for the PDFTK example, the PDF you linked didn't seem to have any protection at all - I was able to select text and copy and paste it elsewhere just as usual...
Attachment pdfcopypaste.png
In reply to Paul Holden

by Erlyn Baack -

I'd used the program for years, and just a few months ago while trying the Ubuntu OS, I discovered its PDF reader opens the protected file just as you said.  Sorry for the recommendation.

In reply to Vincent K

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you don't want it copied, don't show it. Everything else is conversation. Unless you are actually present observing the end users for the entire time they are looking at your information it can be copied and no technical solution will prevent that.