Overridding the Overriden

Overridding the Overriden

by Ryan McMahon -
Number of replies: 8
Hello all,

Just ran into a problem that hopefully will lead to a simple answer. I need to know if there is a way to continue to have the internal grading, such as the ratings in forums, appear in the gradebook after something has been manually entered in that spot. This would make it a lot easier on me, as students hand things in late.

On-time submissions are marked as I get them and the grades go appear in the gradebook, no problem. Students who have not handed their assignments in receive zero, entered manually. If they are to hand something in after this process, is there a way to ensure the internal grading method overrides the zero, which is considered an overridden grade?. Or is there a way for their assignments to receive a zero automatically as some sort of default grade until I grade them?

Flipping back from forum to grade book can become a real hassle when it involves a number of students over a number of classes.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
In reply to Ryan McMahon

Re: Overridding the Overriden

by Elena Ivanova -
We had a similar-looking request, but from a different angle.

It would be nice to be able to grade a student from inside the forum, even though the student had not posted yet (so, it will be similar to assignments).
Same applies to quizzes.

Ryan, I do not have a solution, sorry, just chatting smile

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Itamar Tzadok -
Elena, just to continue the chatting (sorry Ryan, I don't have a solution either), what purpose might grading a non-posting student from within the forum serve? smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Elena Ivanova -
In case of Ryan - he wants to provide 0 to the students who have not posted just yet. So, he will have to to do that via gradebook and then hassle with the override.
Also, some students might think that if the grade is not in the forum, they are OK. Grade of 0 reminds them of something due.

We also have instructors who ask how to grade a "forum post" that was emailed to them, instead of being posted.

In case of a quiz, instructors wanted to provide a grade from a quiz interface to students with no online attempt (e.g. who did that quiz on paper). And they actually wanted to input manually marks/points for every single question that students answered.
Why? Instructors wanted to show correct stats, and they also wanted an online record of the attempts, so they would not need to remember about keeping a paper copies.

Such thing might be useful in case of self-paced trainings as well (kinda related to progress tracking)

Imho, this is not a feature that people desperately need, it just gives some food for thought about what people are trying to achieve.

Bottom line of my blah-blah smile - Assignment is the only tool that allows to grade a student who did not submit any work yet.

by Ryan McMahon -
Thank you Elena, I couldn't have explained it better myself.

My other need to include the zero is to show my high school students, and potentially their parents, what their true grade is. One of the things that I have found extremely useful in Moodle is the 'real time' tracking of grades. Gone is the need (and privacy hassle) of posting grades on my door every once and a while. Students can see exactly where they are at any time, 24/7.

Also gone are the line-ups at my desk for the "what am I missing" questions. I like and
appreciate that time saver very much.

My school has found a dramatic increase in the number of late assignments or assignments missed altogether. For my last assignment, I had 10 of my class of 30 hand it in on the due date. Enter a zero and forget about it until I actually see it and get around to grading it. With all of the convenience mentioned above, I don't see Moodle applying a fix to the piles on my desk.

Thanks for listening to the vent, and talking back to me. big grin
In reply to Ryan McMahon

by Itamar Tzadok -
Actually, I do have a workaround which may not require too much extra setup if you don't have too many graded activity items. You can create in the gradebook a "mirror" grade item for each activity grade item, and set the formula of that "mirror" grade item to

=||that_activity||

This should convert empty grades to 0. Then if you hide the original activity grade items and leave only the mirrors, the students' grade report will show these zeros as if they were graded without actually grading them and no overriding.

smile

by Itamar Tzadok -
Thanks Elena. Design-wise activities should probably communicate with the gradebook through a designated object or layer to which any activity or resource could be hooked, in a similar way to how groupings under the common module settings is done. That should unify the distribution of grades to the gradebook throughout the system. smile