Course visibility

Course visibility

by alfred alfred -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

I created a course in a demo site. And found that every user could see the course name in the categories section. Could I open a course, which could only be viewed by a specific group or user?

Thanks,

Alfred

Average of ratings: -
In reply to alfred alfred

Re: Course visibility

by Stuart Mealor -
In Moodle, Courses and Categories can be seen by everyone.

This is unless they are hidden.
Hiding a Course or Category means no Students can see it, only Teachers+Admins.

But Students cannot enter Courses they see, unless they have an enrolment key, or are added manually, or some other method you choose.

It's like looking at a shop window, anyone can see the items, but you can only open the box if you buy the item smile

Stuart
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Vela Simeonova -
Hi,
This is very important for me as well.
I use Moodle 1.9. In the registration form I added custom user fields which holds the work possition the users have in their job.

What I need is the users with specific possition to see only courses that are suitable for them. Is there any way to relate the value of the custon field in the registration form with the course categories?

I will be realy greatful if there is some kind of solution.

Thanks in advance,
Vela Simeonova
In reply to Vela Simeonova

by Frank Erazo -
Vela:

Look into Moodle Groups. I had a similar situation a few years ago where we wanted the Elementary school teachers to see only their material and the Middle school would only see theirs.

At that time we were using 1.8, and I remember groups really helping us out. At the time, there were limited activities that could be separated into groups. However, I am aware that Moodle groups have gotten better.

Basically, it works like this. You assign an enrollment key to the course. You also create your groups - each with their own enrollment key. When users get to the course, they enter the appropriate enrollment key.

The rest depends on whether or not you are able to separate activities such as quizzes, lessons, wikis, etc into groups.

Good luck!

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Vela and Alfred,
There are several creative ways to deal with this. Groups is one but in Moodle 1.7 to pre 2.0 it only works inside a course. This does not solve K-6 grade teachers only seeing courses for K-6 and not courses for 7-12 grades.

Bulk uploads can be used to enroll users (including existing users) in courses and optionally assign them to a (course) group. If you have a CVS file of all your K-6 teachers, you can enroll them in new courses. With internal enrolment set, this method provides tighter control than an enrolment key which can be shared.

Using the Metacourse feature is another option. Here you would create a regular course for your group. For example, create a regular course "K-6 Teachers". Use one of the enrollment options to enroll your teachers in this course. Now create a course that is just for K-6 teachers "Toddle with Moodle" and in setup check the metacourse box and tell it to get it's users from those in the "K-6 Teachers" course.

There is talk about groups for Moodle 2.0 and having them defined in the site and category context and cascading down from there to course and activities.

PS. demo.moodle.net sometimes limits certain features. You would have to limit enrolment to internal to hide the course and make sure that Leslie Learner and Sam Student are not enrolled, then try logging on as Sam and see if you can see the course in demo.moodle.net.

Good luck,
In reply to Chris Collman

by Vela Simeonova -
Hi Chris, Alfred,

Thank you for the fast responses and giving me a clue.

My idea is for users who enroll in courses by themselves, in their wish, but some user groups defined by their job position filled in the registration form, to see only those courses which are created for them.

For example I have judges and prosecutors as users and courses for judges visible only for the judges, as well as courses for the prosecutors visible only for the prosecutors. I do not wish the titles of the courses to be visible for the unappropriated group at all.

What I'm trying is to create two new roles as duplicating the student's role twice and to assign that roles to the specific course groups. After assigning the new roles to the users and course groups, I hope to manage somehow which users which courses to see.

What you think, is that make any sense?

by Jose Barrera -

Hi Vela,

I know it's been a long time but I was wondering if you managed to find a solution to your query and if so, how did you do it?

I am having to implement something very similar to what you explained above where learners will be able to self-register and a custom field has been added to differentiate them. In this case only courses relevant to their user type should be visible to them.

Regards,

Jose

In reply to Jose Barrera

by Cooper Sellers -

Jose -

Have you found a solution for this?

In reply to Cooper Sellers

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm afraid this discussion has nothing to do with the Moodle Lesson activity. It should have been moved somewhere else long time ago.

Joseph