Curriculum mapping and Moodle - current state

Curriculum mapping and Moodle - current state

by David Jones -
Number of replies: 8
G'day All,

Am involved with some considerations around a project intended around Moodle and curriculum mapping. One place to start was to discover the current state of curriculum mapping around Moodle.

The following shares what was found. If anything is missing, please share here.

In summary, it appears that there is some reasonable interest in the idea of using Moodle for curriculum mapping. However, there are no tools that offer direct support for teachers to map activities/resources in Moodle with various learning outcomes, graduate attributes etc.

There is a "patch", a block (a site running the block) and a "suite" for Moodle that apparently offer support for curriculum mapping. However, where possible to identify, the mapping of activities/resources to outcomes etc is either not directly supported or only a small part of the overall purpose of the tool. Based on existing knowledge, none of these offer the type "curriculum mapping" we're interested in.

I was going to include the full range of resources from which I derived this information, but user error meant I lost the first post and am running out of time. A full list of the resources can be found here.

Early thinking around the project is available here. Happy to hear ideas from anyone the project interests. Especially if your from an Australian university and interested in an ALTC grant.

David.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Jones

Re: Curriculum mapping and Moodle - current state

by Hubert Chathi -
Just to clarify, the "patch" and the "suite" (ELIS) that you cited are meant to provide "curriculum management" capabilities, rather than "curriculum mapping". (I don't have any knowledge of the block that you noted, so I can't say anything about that.) ELIS is about to gain some advanced reporting and functionality for outcomes, but it will still not be a full curriculum mapping product.

(Full disclosure: I am the lead developer for ELIS.)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Hubert Chathi

by David Jones -
G'day Hubert,

Thanks for the clarification and confirmation of my doubts.

I was unable to find much information about ELIS, except for the announcement. I'm interested in hearing more about it, especially the reporting/functionality around outcomes. Do you have any pointers to more information?

David.
In reply to David Jones

by Hubert Chathi -
Hi David,
Unfortunately, we don't have much public information available about ELIS other than that announcement. We have semi-regular webinars (the next one is March 4) about ELIS. We are planning on making ELIS publicly available, but we do not have that set up yet.

In terms of the outcomes improvements, we made some changes to allow a hierarchy of outcomes within Moodle. (It is influenced mostly by requirements of US school districts.) I am actually less familiar with this part of ELIS, since it was originally developed separately. The reports that we have are served by JasperServer.
In reply to David Jones

by David Jones -
A brief update on additional findings re: curriculum mapping in Moodle. After more digging and discussion it seems that the progress tracking work around Moodle 2.0 and the support for outcomes in Moodle 1.9+ may provide functionality that allows the establishment of connections between course learning outcomes, generic/graduate attributes (etc) and the individual activities and resources within a Moodle course. Based on the current limited investigation, however, it currently looks like that most of the reports and services built upon such information is aimed more at tracking student completion than helping in the analysis and design of a course, or group of courses. It also appears that the current outcomes support may be somewhat limited in terms of some requirements. e.g. mapping of multiple, sometimes overlapping outcomes/attributes etc to the same activities/resources. If anyone knows of evidence to the contrary, please feel free to share. Over coming weeks we're embarking on work that will
  1. Test the outcomes functionality in terms of what is required in our local context for mapping outcomes/attributes etc to activities resources to some existing courses.
  2. Developing some initial prototype services to provide functionality that uses the relationship between outcomes etc and course activities/resources to provide useful services for academics and students.
Happy to share insights and experiences that we gather. Really keen to hear the experiences and insights of others. Little wish to reinvent the wheel.

David.
In reply to David Jones

by Stephen Catton -

Hello David

Have you looked at what the University London Computer Centre are doing? http://moodle.ulcc.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=140 

i saw a demonstration of it a few weeks ago and it looks like it might do the trick.

Cheers

Stephen

In reply to Stephen Catton

by David Jones -
G'day Stephen,

Thanks for the pointer. I wasn't aware of this work will check it out.

David.
In reply to David Jones

by Mina Moneer -
Hey ,,
am working on a web service TO SEARCH FOR packages (SCORM packages) in another website and it'll return the results in a page which is accessible from moodle in this page i need to add access controls so that i can hide some features from students on it , and make some other visible to admins (ex) this requires me to know the current user state (USERID,ROLE,CONTEXTid,Instanceid) i want to make an
object from context class
what do i have to require_once() in my .php file
????
thanks,,,.
In reply to David Jones

by David Jones -
G'day All,

FYI, I've just blogged a description of how curriculum mapping might work within Moodle.

http://davidtjones.wordpress.com/2010/05/19/how-curriculum-mapping-in-moodle-might-work/

We were working on a larger project built around these ideas, but it's gone into hiatus. We will probably start up some initial experimentation around this idea later this year - about September/October 2010.

David.