moodle download forbidden

moodle download forbidden

by Dr Huda Osman -
Number of replies: 10
As we all know that Moodle is an Australian initiated software and then it became an international being open source and every body in the world is welcome to add to it. That means it can never be forbidden for use by any body. Unfortunately we tried lately to download new versions and we were stunted to find us unallowed to do so because of the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control sanction list. It is an American not Australian or international sanction. Another thing is that these sanctions have been there for long time and we used Moodle freely, what happened now as new to make us unable to use it? Bare in mind that Moodle has been considered as the official LMS for our university and all our courses now are loaded there as we never thought US sanctions will touch it. Can you please solve this problem?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dr Huda Osman

Re: moodle download forbidden

by Bryan Williams -
Dr. Osman,

Can you post the message your browser returns when you try to download Moodle, I'd like to get a look at that. It may be possible you will need to use a mirror site to download Moodle, or it may be something your own country/locality is doing. Many countries heavily censor the internet through the use of proxy servers, you may want to investigate what your country's policies are.

Your profile says you are located in Sudan. On November 3, 1997 then President Clinton (by executive order) had Sudan put on the list of countries under sanction by the US. This order is still in effect and it may be the recent tightening of sanctions by the current US President is responsible. We would just need to investigate this for you further.
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Dr Huda Osman -
Thank you Bryan for answer. When you click on the download moodle you are transferred to SourceForge.net website in which you get this message:

SourceForge.net > Error
403 Error – Forbidden
Your request is being denied as it appears to be coming from a location banned by our Terms of Use.

Report Not Being From a Blocked Country

If you are not from one of the countries banned from accessing this site, please submit us a Support Request including your IP address (196.29.161.82) and country of origin.

what I would to stress on is that the sanctions are supposed to be on US products, which, if more tightened, it may include American items that were not involved in the previous order. I think the current problem of Moodle download may have to do with the mirror to which automatically directed to for download. If that is the case then may be we need to have another mirror in Europe or far east.

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Huda,

Here is a link to sourceforge's comments about this: http://sourceforge.net/blog/clarifying-sourceforgenets-denial-of-site-access-for-certain-persons-in-accordance-with-us-law/

Unfortunately for you, it states that although they (sourceforge) believe that "restrictions on the free flow of information rub us the wrong way" they are still bound by the laws of the United States, and it is the US who say they can not make any downloads available to a number of countries including the Sudan.

Sourceforge are using an IP filtering system to determine if you are trying to access their site from these countries, so it would be possible to utilise an IP spoofing system to get round this block; not that I could recommend anything illegal to you though wink

Jon

---------- Edit ----------------

I have just uploaded the latest version of Tortiose CVS to my website. Try to download it from here: http://www.jonwitts.co.uk/dls/tortoise.zip

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Dr Huda Osman -
Hi John
Thank you very much for your reply and suggestions. Unfortunately I don't know about these spoofing systems, but I could get the Tortoise CVS from the link you provided and could install it in my system, and followed the directions until recording the server to any of the names on the list, but the message came that it was unrecognized server. I tried all the servers on the list with no success. I don't if it has any thing to do with Vista system.
Cheers

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Huda,

At which point in these steps do you get stuck?

http://docs.moodle.org/en/CVS_for_Administrators#From_a_Windows_computer

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Dr Huda Osman -
Hi John
that was in the second page when I checked the radio button labelled "Choose branch or tag" nothing happened and there was no drop down menue. Then I clicked the [update list] but I got this output message with a sound of a breaking glass:

In C:\New Folder: "C:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvs.exe" -q -Q rlog -h -l Moodle

CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@eu.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle
Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password
cvs rlog: cannot find module `Moodle' - ignored

Error, CVS operation failed

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
And if you use moodle in stead of Moodle? The mirrors are on Linux servers so Moodle and moodle is not the same...

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
I don't know if this can help you, but there are a few European CVS mirrors to try: http://docs.moodle.org/en/CVS_for_Administrators#CVS_Servers

On that page is also explained how to use them.
In reply to koen roggemans

by Dr Huda Osman -
Thank you Koen for your trying to help. I tried to follow instructions through CVS mirror but the need to download TortoiseCVS is blocked through the same website of sourceforg.net that blocked Mooldle download. Hope you have another suggestion

by E. L. Cooper -
I would be happy to download the latest version and email it to you as an immediate temporary solution while this is being sorted. Just pm me the correct email address.