Can teacher limit the group size?

Can teacher limit the group size?

by Monica Franz -
Number of replies: 8
Hi!

We're using Moodle 1.9.3. without Grouping.

How can a teacher set a group size for groups, without changing the group enrolment key, when the group is "filled"?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Monica Franz

Re: Can teacher limit the group size?

by Kevin Freeborn -
I am interested in this as well. We use enrolment keys to separate groups but need to limit the number of students that can enrol in a group.
In reply to Kevin Freeborn

by Kevin Freeborn -
For example:
  • we have a client that wants to have their 30 students enrol in a group ABC company
  • we have another client, XYZ company, that wants room for 15 students
I can create a group for each company, but have no way to set a limit of students for each group.
In reply to Kevin Freeborn

by Paul Drayton -
I have the same requirements for bulk purchases using enrolments keys. I have to limit the group to the number of courses bought.

Consider this a bump....smile
In reply to Paul Drayton

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi all

This is not a current feature but I have found a Tracker Issue MDL-13962 which looks like what you're after. I suggest you vote for this issue and/or download the patch and test it in a development environment. It does look like it may be included in future releases, based on comments at the bottom of the issue smile

I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Micky Fokken -

anyone tried the plugin per the above tracker?  We are selling access to online training and need to limit the size of a group to reflect the number of licenses they purchased.

In reply to Micky Fokken

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

That plugin that Teresa mentions seems to me to be an earlier version of the group choice module which is available for Moodle 2.0 http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=4704&filter=1

I tried it out to make the video and it seems good

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sebastian Wz -

That plugin doesn't help when you don't want people to actually pick or even create their own groups, for example because they're not supposed to see how many other groups exist and how they're called. This is an obvious privacy issue when you're selling courses.

I was rather surprised that it's still not a core feature to simply limit the size of groups, so you can just set a group enrolment key and give it to students, customers etc. who then receive an error notification when the alloted number of enrolments has been reached.

What I (and many others I guess) want is to have people click on a course on the main page, see one single input box for their enrolment key, enter the one they've been given and then, depending on the key, be put in a specific group which has its own size limit.

It would also be great to have a specific enrolment duration coming with that key, but then this can only be done as an individual enrolment plugin instance, which then results in several input boxes giving away unwanted details through their number / names.

See this thread for a similar problem:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=328298

The tracker issue for group size limits (MDL-29577) hasn't been touched in a while, so everyone who'd like to see this implemented as a core feature should vote for it.

If anyone knows an up-to-date plugin that does the job (without letting students select their own groups within the course) I'd be happy to take a look ;)

best regards

Sebastian

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sebastian Wz

by Stefan Meier -

that tracker issue seems promising and it looks like it has partly been resolved.

I'm not really keen on fiddling with the database manually.