missing gradebook general settings

missing gradebook general settings

by Aleksandar Milić -
Number of replies: 10
when i am trying to a access a general settings tab (Site administration -> grades -> General settings) i get a blank page. Also grades tab are not accessible from any course. i cant synhronize gradebook (with "Synchronize legacy grades" button) because i can get through to that option.

This problem manifest since we updated moodle to 1.9.7 version. Could it be because we are using mooodle under SME server?!
In reply to Aleksandar Milić

Re: missing gradebook general settings

by Andrew Davis -
In reply to Andrew Davis

by Aleksandar Milić -
That's exactly what i mean.

by Andrew Davis -
What version did you upgrade from?

Are there any other settings pages not working or is it just the grading related pages?

What contrib/extra packages do you have installed?
In reply to Andrew Davis

by Aleksandar Milić -
we upgraded from 1.9.6 to 1.9.7+.

We have no extra packages installed. The problem is only with Grade->General settings page in site administration and grades pages in every course.

In general settings page only header is shown, fieldset that should contain settings option is missing. Footer of the page is also not shown.

Grade pages in courses are completly blank for all users.

Other grades settings pages (Grade category settings, grade item settings...) are working fine.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Please could you turn on Debugging and tell us whether that reaveals and error message. (If it does, please tell us what error message!)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Aleksandar Milić -
I did as you say, debbug shows a folowing message:

"Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /opt/moodle/html/grade/report/lib.php on line 333"
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Aleksandar Milić -

Could it be due the version of php??

This is from http://docs.moodle.org/en/admin/environment/php

"Moodle has different PHP requirements for different versions:

• Moodle 2.0 will require PHP 5.2.8 or later.
  • Moodle 1.6 to 1.9 requires PHP 4.3.0 or later
  • Moodle 1.0 to 1.5 requires PHP 4.1.0 or later "
We are running 4.3.9

or is it possible that this problem is because the optional xmlrpc extension is not installed?

by Andrew Davis -
Ah, I see the problem. There's a function at line 333 thats declared as "protected" I don't think that support for the protected keyword was added until php 5. Moodle 1.9.X should work with php 4 so the keyword shouldn't be being used.

I've opened a tracker item and created a patch that removes two instances of the protected keyword that shouldn't be there. MDL-21644

To test this is in fact the root cause (I dont get the error myself) would you mind either applying the patch attached to the tracker item or just going to line 333 of grade/report/lib.php and removing the word "protected"?