quiz module needs upgrading / After upgrade to 1.9.6

quiz module needs upgrading / After upgrade to 1.9.6

by Fred Frazelle -
Number of replies: 16
This was an original install through cPanel and i finally took the plunge to upgrade to 1.9.6. After doing so i try to login and get the above line.

the complete URL is

http://www.fundacionanisa.org/moodle_anisa/admin/index.php?ignoreupgradewarning=1

and the line that appears below the "quiz module..." is

(mysql): SELECT value FROM mdl_config_plugins WHERE plugin = 'qtype_random' AND name = 'selectmanual' LIMIT 1

It seems that i am actually logged in because i can browse the site, but i can't get into the Moodle admin area.

The server is using PHP 5.2.8; OS = Linux; i'm using Firefox 3.5.6; Apache 2.2.14; MySQL 5.0.89

and i just noticed that i'm "over" my space limit. i'm going to see if i can FTP to the site and delete some stuff. Maybe this is what is causing the problem.

i've written several times to the Site admins. but they say they've gotten my service requests but -- nothing happens. Hopefully it's just the overage...

Have a great evening! smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fred Frazelle

Re: quiz module needs upgrading / After upgrade to 1.9.6

by Fred Frazelle -
The web-hosting OS is Linux; MySQL = 5.0.89-community; Apache = 2.2.14; PHP = 5.2.8; and cPanel Pro 1.0 (RC1).

Well, i've been trying to work with my web-hosting people. Very patient they are. i've gotten to the point where i've uploaded a backed up copy of my database and they have set it up.

Now, after loggin in i get this page...

Upgrading Moodle database from version 1.9.2 (Build: 20080711) (2007101520) to 1.9.6 (Build: 20091021) (2007101560)... Your Moodle files have been changed, and you are about to automatically upgrade your server to this version:

1.9.6 (Build: 20091021) (2007101560)

Once you do this you can not go back again.

Please note that this process can take a long time.

Are you sure you want to upgrade this server to this version? Yes, No.

Is there anything that i should do or be aware of before i click on Yes?

Any help would be appreciated. Have a great evening! smile

by Fred Frazelle -
i haven't gotten an answer to this post. i'm wondering if i need to provide more information or if there is some other way that i might facilitate a reply.

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

That's just a normal Moodle message that indicates that you're about to upgrade Moodle. It doesn't indicate any problems. I assume you've resolved the space problem so the upgrade should continue as normal.

Are you upgrading a production site? If so, I would personally avoid using cPanel! I've heard too many horror stories about it. But that's just me... :->

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Fred Frazelle -
Wow, do i appreciate your reply! i thought i was going to be stuck here forever.

i haven't had any problems with cPanel in the past but ... now maybe it's time.

i'll go ahead and accept (click Yes) and see what happens.

Thanks again for replying and have a great afternoon! smile

Update: Well, instead of another post, i'll just put it here...

i clicked on Yes to proceed and the Enviornment, Server Checks page came up with the first item being

"Unicode. If you are upgrading, you should perform the UTF-8 migration process (see the Admin page)." in bright red with the word "Check". This was the only Check that did not come up green or "OK".

i thought i had checked this before the last update and everything went alright. Do we need to do this again?

by E. L. Cooper -

If you old install was 1.8 or later and since you did a fantastico install orginally I am going to suggest these 3 video's

DIY fixing Unicode collation in CPanel

DIY Unicode Tables http://www.e-blackboard.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=632

DIY Correcting Upload file location http://www.e-blackboard.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=508

In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Fred Frazelle -
E.L. Cooper, thank you very much for your suggestions. i'll try them out. i gather from your suggestions that i shoudn't go ahead and try to update until the Unicode issue is resolved.

Thanks again -- very much and have a great evening! smile

by Fred Frazelle -
Very happy camper. Spent over an hour fixing the Unicode issue but when i refreshed the page it was not listed as an issue anymore.

So, i proceeded with the update. It ran through the first page alright and am now on the second page "Setting up Moodle tables". It seems to have set up the tables but at the bottom of the page it says>

Quiz module needs upgrading.

and nothing else happens.

Did i miss something? Have a wonderful evening! smile

by Fred Frazelle -
Now, when i try to login to my Moodle area i get the

No warnings - Scroll to the continue button

quiz module needs upgrading

(mysql): SELECT value FROM mdl_config_plugins WHERE plugin = 'qtype_random' AND name = 'selectmanual' LIMIT 1
again. Which is what i was getting when i started all of this.

Any ideas? Have a great evening! smile

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

How did you start the upgrade? Did you extract the new version into your existing Moodle folder (and overwrite the old version)?

Or did you upgrade via CPanel?

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Fred Frazelle -
Thanks for reply, Luis. i started the process about a month or more ago by using cPanel. Then, after getting my first "quiz module needs upgrading" i began trying to fix the problem through our web-hosting personnel.

Finally, began posting here. At least i've been able to fix the Unicode issue.

Now when i go to the moodle area "http://www.fundacionanisa.org/moodle_anisa/admin/index.php" i get:

Upgrade already running in this session, please wait!
Click on the exclamation marks to ignore this warning (!!!).

by Fred Frazelle -
Well, checked the site again and when i try to login to the Moodle area, i still get the

Upgrade already running in this session, please wait!
Click on the exclamation marks to ignore this warning (!!!).
( Continue )

warning. Any ideas? and have a great evening! smile

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That is not an error message. It is just telling you want is going on.

My guess is that it is whatever happens next that is failing.

Have you turned on Debugging? (You probably need to use the method of turning it on in config.php.) That would then give you the error message.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Fred Frazelle -
Dear Tim: Thanks for replying!

i tried your suggestion and turned on Debugging through cPanel and the File Manager. i entered the main (non-Moodle) site and saw messages. Clicked on the link to go to the Moodle sub-section. No messages. i entered my Login info and clicked on the O.K. button -- still no messages.

Boy, this sure is a challenge! Have a great afternoon! smile

by Fred Frazelle -
Hi guys!

i found this thread which seems very similar to mine, except in mine only the first line appears and not all three. Also, in mine, there is no "Success" reported.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=143796

Maybe this will help? and Have a great evening! smile

by Fred Frazelle -
i just ran across this post as well. Do you suppose it applies to our problem?

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=77175&parent=343392

It talks about the mod folder not having all the subdirectories. i checked mine through ftp and see that it is missing the "exercise" folder. Do you suppose this is what is causing the error message to appear?

by Fred Frazelle -
i am still getting the same message when i try to login. Perhaps it's time to start a new thread. This one seems to be in limbo.