Want to restore gradebook ONLY with manual items and categories

Want to restore gradebook ONLY with manual items and categories

by Matthew Putz -
Number of replies: 6
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to bring the structural contents of a gradebook (manual items and categories) from one course over to another. I'm aware that categories and items will come over when they are attached to activities (file uploads, forums, etc.), but how does one do it when all of the grade columns are manual columns?

Matt
In reply to Matthew Putz

Re: Want to restore gradebook ONLY with manual items and categories

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Matthew,
If you want an exact replica, then you can backup a site (do not include user data, users, etc, include only activities that are needed) , and then do Restore by Deleting first, or just create a new site from that backup.
If your other site is not blank, and has some content already - it is tricky. I would just re-create manually.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Matthew Putz -
I understand what you mean, but this gradebook has no columns that are attached to activities. So you can restore the activities, but that doesn't restore manual grade columns and their categories...

Does that make sense? Or am I missing something?
In reply to Matthew Putz

by Elena Ivanova -
It should re-create the manual columns/categories, since the backup file will actually include them.
Try creating a backup file and exclude absolutely everything from it (no uses, data, activities, resources, etc). The xml file will still have the gradebook info (you will see it on the confimration screen). Then restore this backup to a new course and review.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Matthew Putz -
I did that - no joy - didn't pull any of the grade items in...
In reply to Matthew Putz

by Elena Ivanova -
Hm, I have tested that as a teacher on default clean Moodle install and it worked Ok for me. Can somebody else please try this too? I am puzzled mixed