When to use formulas

When to use formulas

by Bo Clarke -
Number of replies: 2

If I have a course that is using the Weighted mean you really would not need a formula for anything would you?

I'm not an instructor, I am an IT admin trying to get my mind around the Moodle Grade Book so that I can offer some training.

When would you really NEED to use a formula in Moodle? 

If anyone has any examples to share with a Grade Book novice I would greatly appreciate it.

i.e. student being exempt from an exam---would a formula be needed for this?

Calculating the Final Course Grade...wouldn't having the Categories set to their respective weights i.e. Tests = 75% Quizzes = 15% and Assignments = 10% just work itself out in the Course Grade column?  Or do you need to write a formula such as this to calculate it?  =((Test1*0.75)+(Test2*0.75)+(Quiz1*0.15)+(Quiz2*0.15)+(Assignment1*0.10)+(Assignment2*0.10))

Thanks!

In reply to Bo Clarke

Re: When to use formulas

by Gus S. Calabrese -
I use a formula so that I can give students credit for attendance ( 0= did not attend , 1= attended , 2 = participated )
I soft of grade on a curve and want to weight the attendance at 20%.
In this case, I set "A" level attendance at 1.7 out of a max of 2.0

=20*average(01,02,03)*(1/1.7)

0122: 01
0129: 02
0205: 03
0212: 04

I have not seen a way to take the max grade of the students and use that to grade on a curve.
In reply to Gus S. Calabrese

Re: When to use formulas

by Bo Clarke -

If I set the Weighted Mean of grades as my Aggregation I really don't need a formula do I?

I guess I'm trying to get a feel for when you need to put a formula in your Categories and Items....any examples of when you would use a formula even though you have an aggregation selected.