Splitting moodle - parents and pupils, make it pretty!

Splitting moodle - parents and pupils, make it pretty!

av David Shields -
Antall svar: 13

Not so much a problem or advocacy, more a request for advice on the best way to do things.

I'm a technician, not a teacher, and I'm going to be setting up a moodle for a school.

For copyright and privacy reasons, student course content should only be visible to logged in users (who will be students and teachers at the school).

But, the school also wants its website to be a good looking view into the school, so they would like plenty of content useful to parents and potential school entrants. Rather than go down the root of a CMS for general school content, and moodle for the VLE, they'd like moodle to provide it all.

This means that a large part of the front page should be publically visible, preferably with 'pretty' stuff that is also visible to not-logged-in users, and links to stuff like timetables, school trip gallerys, useful parent info, letters/bulletins from the head all permanently available to not-logged-in. Only when the student wants to access actual course material should the have to log in.

Is this do-able in moodle, or is the best way to wrap moodle in a cms (I sincerely home it isn't!)

David

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til David Shields

Re: Splitting moodle - parents and pupils, make it pretty!

av Mary Cooch -
Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Moodle HQ Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators

Hi David smile I was down your way (Leeds) only the other day,at a Moodle conference in fact! We do exactly what you say with our school Moodle - its front page is ouir website and the rest of it is log in only.Take a look ...http://www.olchs.lancs.sch.uk

I'm a teacher not a technician so it isn't fancy in any way and we dont have control over themes but it works for us. What you see on the front page links to guest access courses such as a course called Past Events and we have autologin guests set so they don't need to click for guest access. The course block is not visible to non-logged in users (which I did by editing permissions on the block to prevent ,logged in users seeing it) so only when you login do you see the courses.(Yes Iknow if you know the courses url you can go directly but most people aren't aware of that.) I happen to update the front page myself but this could be done by someone with relevant permissions on the front page and the guest access courses if you wanted to

av Ken Glass -
Hey David,

Yes, absolutely you can do what you want to do. And it doesn't have to be front page only. This, without your courses or student database being exposed to people who are not logged in.

If you've set up Moodle, you've probably discovered that under the moodledata" directory, subdirectory "1" is the front page. Courses are in directories 2, 3, etc. To provide non-logged-in users access, you want to give front page access to any site visitor (it's a set-up choice).

How we've done this is to create a subdirectory in the "1" directory for external pages. By external, I mean pages that were put into the Moodle structure of directories, but NOT created in the Moodle system.

Our directory is "exp" from "external pages." We create these pages that end up in this directory in Dreamweaver. Images are kept in a subdirectory of exp named expimages. Then you link to these pages on the front page with the full url (perhaps from your main menu). It would look something like this:

http://www.yourschoolurl.com/file.php/1/exp/myexternalpage.htm

You also could create this external content on your Moodle server, but NOT inside of the Moodle data structure, which would be less revealing of the document data structure from the outside. Both of these methods work the same for the user.

In this case, put your free access pages in a directory (let's use "exp" again) in the "public_html" directory. If structured this way (which I would recommend rather than the other method), your URL would look like this:

http://www.yourschoolurl.com/exp/myexternalpage.htm

You can build a whole secondary site in this exp directory designed for non-logged in users. This approach does require the use of some web development tool, such as Dreamweaver. You can use PHP and Javascript in the page development for this area. IF you need a CMS/LMS driven development environment, or you want anyone (teachers, support staff, etc.) to be able to produce pages, then you're better off working in a CMS such as Drupal or Joomla. But this is one solution to doing what you want to do if you're trying to avoid the use of a secondary CMS.

KG
Som svar til Ken Glass

av Mary Cooch -
Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Moodle HQ Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators
I get what you're saying Ken and I think there are loads of really good websites and moodles running together by having a whole site within directory 1 -but if you have a regular school teacher given the job of updating several times a week it's not going to be as easy with a site within a site built in, say, Dreamweaver - that's why I think my less beautiful but also less techy way (guest access courses linked to from the front page) would be easier for us simpler souls to manage. But it's David's call really smile
Som svar til Mary Cooch

av Jason Jolaoso -
I agree with you Mary - Keep It Simple is a policy I agree with - however what do you suggest for a scenario where parents want access to thier ward's/child's performance( or grades) in moodle?

Som svar til Jason Jolaoso

av Mary Cooch -
Jason - how about looking at the Parent_Role in Moodle?
Som svar til Mary Cooch

av Jason Jolaoso -
Hello Mary,

Hmnnn...... there seems to be no content on the 'Parent_Role' Link you provided.

You planning on posting insightful comments on the page soon or you want me to do the honors?

Let me know asap

Regards

Jason
Som svar til Jason Jolaoso

av Jon Witts -
Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers
That link should have been Parent_role (the docs are case sensitive!)

Jon
Som svar til Jon Witts

av Mary Cooch -
As I say to our students - always check your links once you've made them!big grin
Som svar til Mary Cooch

av Jason Jolaoso -
Thank you Mary/Jon.

Will have to say that the document makes everything look straight forward and easy.

Thanks

av Michael Penney -
Hi David - perhaps take a look at the Flexpage patch - this provides the ability create a fairly rich CMS experience all with Moodle. Intel, Cisco, CalState, etc. have used it for thissmiler.
Gjennomsnittlig vurdering:Useful (3)
Som svar til Michael Penney

av Chad Outten -
Bilde av Testers
Hi Michael! I've used flexpage previously with some 1.9 instances. Great job, really impressed with it, btw. Gives educators freedom to better control the layout and sequence of their course(s). Did you (try to) get this into core? Will it be compatible for moodle 2.0? Cheers, Chad