Book and Grouping

Book and Grouping

by Duncan O'Hara -
Number of replies: 12
Hi there

I wonder if anyone can give me a definitive answer regarding the Book resource and Groupings - not Groups.

We are running V 1.9.7 and I see that for the Book resource one cannot allocate a Grouping to it, you can assign a Group.

Am I correct in saying that Grouping for the Book does not exist as a common module setting.? I can see I can allocate visible or separate groups but I can't see the Grouping option.

I have looked at Moodle Tracker http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-1651 and I can't quite make out whether the issue raised about Grouping has been resolved.

Can anyone help?

Duncan
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Duncan O'Hara

Re: Book and Grouping

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I haven't done this for real but I just took a look at our book resource and there is certainly the option to allocate a grouping(in the advanced settings) -are you suggesting it doesn't work or do you not have this setting? Do you have groupings enabled on your Moodle sitewide?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Duncan O'Hara -
I thought for the last day I had imagined I had seen groupings in our install. Thanks for reassuring me I am not crazy!

Site wide groupings is enabled it's just not appearing for the Book. We have pushed through a number of changes in our install lately so I suspect something has affected this option for this resource.

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I feel relieved that I wasn't imagining it!

Will explore to see where the problem lies.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
have you got the latest version of the Book? Have you got advanced settings visible in the book settings?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Duncan O'Hara -
I presume we have the latest Book version. Out install is controlled by a third-party provider so I can't confidently say that we do or don't. What I do know is that on our local install the Book in v 1.9.5 and 1.9.7 has the Grouping option.

On our local install that the Group option is not available but grouping is, and on our institutional install the Group option is but not the Grouping.

I guess the key is whether anyone knows how an older version of the book behaves in 1.9.7. And where do we find the version of the book that we are running on our install?

by Mary Cooch -
If you go to site admin>modules>manage activities and there will be a list Version that tells you what version of your modules (the numbers refer to dates)
Are you sure groupings are enabled on your institutional install?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Duncan O'Hara -
Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Positive that Groupings are enabled as the option appears for other resources and activities.

Our third party host informs me that the groupings for the Book were not part of core code, hence why I presume we can't see it.

I am really confused as when we loaded the Book module on our local install we didn't have to do anything, apart from enabling groupings for the site, to see it appear for the Book.

Surely if the core code didn't support groupings for the book then we would have had to do something more than just follow the install instructions.

by Mary Cooch -
Well - I would first of all as I said above - check your version of the book. Obviously you can't name your third party but what they are saying doesn't make sense.In the course where your book is - is it set to groups?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Duncan O'Hara -
That's what I intend to do.

I can't understand it either. All I can put it down to is that the installation that was provided to us by our third-party has an old version of the book and that is why it is doesn't show groupings.Will check with them.

I have changed the group settings in the course settings and it makes no difference.

by John Andrewartha -
Out of interest you are clicking the show advanced options at the bottom of the setup page? Otherwise the group option is invisible.

In reply to John Andrewartha

by Duncan O'Hara -
The problem is there is no show advanced button for the book. When inspecting the code I can see a tag for the show advanced button, but no button appears. It could be that the this tag is there all the time anyway.

I have got the version of the book for our institutional install. It is 2007052001.

I can't figure out whether this is the right version of the book for our install (1.9.7).

I don't have access to our local install at the moment to do a comparison.

by John Andrewartha -
The version I am using is 2008081402 which is listed as current for Moodle 1.9*.. It may be you need to do a upgrade of the module. I have no issues with that version on 1.9.7
In reply to John Andrewartha

by Mary Cooch -
I believe (just guessing) that the version number relates to the time it was made so Duncan yours would have been made in 2007 and John's in 2008 -so I would strongly recommend you upgrade.