Relationship between longtimenosee and enrolment duration

Relationship between longtimenosee and enrolment duration

by Ellen Kinsel -
Number of replies: 5

Which setting has the ultimate control over when inactive users are "unsubscribed" from courses...longtimenosee or enrolment duration in the course settings?

For example, if longtimenosee = 120 days (the default), and the enrolment duration for a course is "unlimited", will the inactive users be unsubscribed after 120 days?

Another example, if longtimenosee = 60 days, and the course enrolment duration = 100 days, when will the inactive users be unsubscribed?

And conversely, if longtimenosee = 30 days, and the course enrolment duration = 60 days, when will the inactive users be unsubscribed?

In my observation in my own Moodle database, I cannot seem to come up with consistent results.

Thanks in advance for any light being shed on this issue.

EllenK

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ellen Kinsel

Re: Relationship between longtimenosee and enrolment duration

by Robert Brenstein -
I think none is more ultimate than the other, and whichever is met first, that one affects the unenrollment. Enrollment duration is counting from the day of enrollment. Longtimenosee starts counting on the last activity. There can be variations if different enrollment mechanisms (plugins) are used.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Ellen Kinsel -

Thanks for your reply.

You said "whichever is met first, that one affects the unenrollment."

Our longtimenosee = 120 days, and I have a group of users enrolled in a course with a duration of 150 days. They have never, ever logged into Moodle, so they should have been unsubscribed from the course automatically after 120 days according to your theory that whichever condition occurs first applies. They were not unsubscribed from the course, but they did receive notification 10 days prior to the 150 day expiry.

So perhaps the course enrollment duration takes precedence over the longtimenosee??

In reply to Ellen Kinsel

by Robert Brenstein -
First, check that your cron is running. The longtimenosee check is executed only through cron. Second, it sounds like you manually enrolled those students in the course. I think that longtimenosee applies only when students enroll themselves or skips students that never visited the course.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ellen Kinsel -

Ahhh...none of the research I did revealed that longtimenosee only applies to self-enrolled students and skips students that never visited the site. Thanks for that.

by Ulrike Albers -

Hallo,

In most of my courses (which are threesmile), I have always enrolled manually, but some users have get unenrolled after X time without connecting, so it seems to apply to manually enrolling too.

Ulrike