Making Contact block a sticky block on courses

Making Contact block a sticky block on courses

by Carol Booth -
Number of replies: 5
I've just installed the Contact block, which is great.
It works fine adding to individual courses but I'd like to add it to all courses as a 'sticky block' but the block always claims to be misconfigured, even when teachers exist in the course.
Is there a way around this?
Thanks!
Carol

While I'm on the subject, I'd also like to remove a lot of the default blocks on new courses, if anyone has a quick fix for that...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carol Booth

Re: Making Contact block a sticky block on courses

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
hello Carolsmile Sorry - I was too worn out last night to have a look at this but will try again tonight - about to start some Moodle training at eleven but didn't want you to feel ignored!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Carol Booth -
Mary, I didn't expect you to leap at my command smile. It was great to meet you and eat cake at the Moodle conference!
In reply to Carol Booth

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
OK... I just added the contact form block and - I got the same as you - it works great individually but says misconfigured when you try to add as a sticky block..I don't have a solution but wonder if anyone has an idea? Is this a bug or is it something Carol and I haven't spotted in the configuration? Is it because all courses will have different teachers in and making it stick makes it non-editable? That shouldn't make a difference though as it should "read" in each course who the teachers are and add them. I will go and do a search here and post back if I find anything else. Also -the only way I can think of to remove default blocks is to hide them in site administration -however, doing that then prevents anyone from adding them later on. If it's one you know you will never use (like for us the loan calculator-someone must find it useful though!) then that would be OK; otherwise, not.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
No - I forgot - if you can get into the files then there is this hack:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Administration_hacks#Set_default_course_blocks_rather_than_using_sticky_blocks
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Carol Booth -
Thanks Mary,
I'm still testing this but it definitely solves my problem with the incorrectly configured 'contact_form' sticky block for new courses - now considering the implications of resetting blocks on existing courses...

I used http://docs.moodle.org/en/Block_layout

Carol