inconsistencies in quiz grade visibility

inconsistencies in quiz grade visibility

by Susan Weier -
Number of replies: 7
We're using Moodle 1.9.7 and have run into an odd set of inconsistencies with quiz grades. If any of this sounds familiar, or if you know what we're doing wrong, please pass it on.

A quiz is created with open/close dates and times, and with a timer. Review options are set so that nothing is viewable immediately after the quiz. Scores are viewable "later". Everything is viewable after the quiz closes.

The quiz closed several days ago. Students can see their grades when they click on the Quiz. However, the User Report does not display the Quiz or the grade.

TAs can see the grade in the Grader Report, but it is grayed out. The TA can also see the Quiz listed in the User Report, but no grade is visible. The TA sees a grayed out "-".

As admin, I see the same as the TA.

When I edit the Quiz in the Gradebook, Hidden is not checked, and appears to not work. When I edit an individual grade for the quiz in the Grader Report. the Hidden box is checked. I can uncheck it to solve this problem, but I fear that the same thing will happen with the next quiz. The number of enrolled students makes this not a very good solution.

Any thoughts?

Sue

In reply to Susan Weier

Re: inconsistencies in quiz grade visibility

by Itamar Tzadok -
The quiz grade item in the gradebook may be locked, in which case you need to unlock it so that the quiz updates the gradebook. smile
Attachment grade-locking.png
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Susan Weier -
Thanks for the suggestion. The quizzes are unlocked.

It's as if the gradebook didn't follow through on the Review options from the quiz. But I'm not sure why that would have happened.

I'm assuming that I could do a MySQL command line update and set all of the quizzes to be available. That would solve this instance, but probably not that of the next quizzes.
In reply to Susan Weier

by Basil Gohar -
Teachers at my school are experiencing a problem exactly as described here. We are running 1.9.8.

The only difference I can find between quizzes that have this problem and those that done are that "Feedback" was marked as unavailable AFTER the quiz was closed (i.e., it was unchecked). Checking this did not mark the grades as visible though, they remained hidden.
In reply to Basil Gohar

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Basil,
Any chance it is similar to this issue?
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Basil Gohar -
Hi, Elena, I appreciate the response.

I do not think my case is the same as the one cited. The quiz in question DOES have an end date, and everything regarding review is checked except for "Overall feedback" on After the quiz is closed.

It is not the entire grade item that is hidden, but the actual grades for the students that are hidden. What the means is that the grade item is listed, but in the user report, a simple "-" is displayed for the grade, whereas the student really does have a grade for that item.

What I wanted to know is what marked those grades as hidden, and is there a way to make them visible without manually editing them.

I may poke around and see if I can reproduce the error, but I could not see a consistent way in the code to do so yet.
In reply to Basil Gohar

by Basil Gohar -
After hacking away at the code for hours yesterday and today, I've decided that this very well might be a bug in code that handles grade_grades records, so I've created the following bug report:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-22418

We'll see where that goes. I hope my description there was adequate.