Global Glossary Links show in docs but don't connect to glossary item

Global Glossary Links show in docs but don't connect to glossary item

by chris nelson -
Number of replies: 6

Hi

Do you or does anyone know why my global glossary links don't work?

1. I created a Global Glossary on my Front Page and set it to Global.
  2. I can go into any course (within any Catagory) and see the Global Glossary words highlighted in grey.

So far so good, but here's the problem:

When I click on a grey highlighted link it opens a window but doesn't desplay the glossary term. Instead it shows in the 'Link-chain' (I don't know the actual term but it is the link bar below the header of the page showing how I got from the front page to the current page) that it is trying to search glossary terms for the course I'm in. Which there are none because the Global Glossary is on the Front Page.

• Ex of 'link-chain': frontpage->coursecategory->search

I checked the source on one of the links and this is what it showed:

<a class="glossary autolink glossaryid4" title="Masters Program Glossary: Blood" href="http://mysite.com/mod/glossary/showentry.php?courseid=7&amp;concept=Blood" Xonclick="return openpopup('/mod/glossary/showentry.php?courseid=7\&amp;concept=Blood', 'entry', 'menubar=0,location=0,scrollbars,resizable,width=600,height=450', 0);">Blood</a>

I think to find the Global Glossary listings it needs to search the front page.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to chris nelson

Re: Global Glossary Links show in docs but don't connect to glossary item

by Claire Browne -
I have the same problem. Can I ask what theme you are running?

In reply to Claire Browne

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Claire,
I am not seeing this problem at all on my Moodle local test site (running 1.9.8). If your Moodle site is available online, could you please email me with a student password so I can have a look?
Which theme are you using?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Claire Browne -
I am using the Page theme.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Rosemary Camilleri -
Joseph

My problem seems identical to that of Chris Nelson above. I run Moodle 1.9.7, and use the standard green Moodle theme, unmodified.

I have one glossary only, it is on the front page, it is a global glossary, and autolinking is turned on. Autolinking works fine in my WriteWell-1 course, but when I click on a grey-highlighted word in WriteWell-2 or -3, a window appears, with just the "breadcrumb trail, with Glossaries and Search in black letters (no links).

The window is blank; no definition.

I do not have multiple glossaries. I do not know how to uninstall and reinstall my glossary module, nor do I want to do something so drastic unless it is unavoidable

[...]
Thank you for your kind help.
Rosemary Camilleri

(Edited by Joseph Rézeau - [removed sensitive information] original submission Sunday, 29 August 2010, 12:23 AM)

In reply to chris nelson

by Claire Browne -
Hi Chris,

I had the same problem as you.

My solution which worked for me.

Export your main glossary as a .xml

Uninstall and re install the glossary module and then import the .xml you made.

I then put in the settings auto linking and it worked. I have my glossary back.

Not sure what the problem was though...
In reply to Claire Browne

by Arijit Lahiri -
I had the same issue and realized that I had multiple global glossaries by the same name in different places which was creating the problem. Or at least deleting all but one solved the issue.