How to change the color of a single link or a word in a page

How to change the color of a single link or a word in a page

by bruce boman -
Number of replies: 22
I have a course page and I want to change the color of a single link. If I change the body color, it will change the color of all of them which I don't want. I just want only one link color to be different from the rest. Anyone knows how please?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to bruce boman

Re: How to change the color of a single link or a word in a page

by Henry Happ -
If it's a single link, you could try just adding a style element to the link tag:

<a style="color: #ff0000;" href="http://somelocation.com">click here</a>
In reply to Henry Happ

by bruce boman -
Where can I find the file of the link tag to edit it please because I'm new to moodle
In reply to bruce boman

by Henry Happ -
1. Add your link as you normally would.
2. Click the "<>" (Toggle HTML Source) button.
3. Locate the link you created in step one.
4. Add the style element, changing the color to what you would like it to be.
5. Click the "<>" (Toggle HTML Source) button again.
6. Save it.
In reply to Henry Happ

by bruce boman -
I took a screen shots of what I want to change the color of and they are circled in red and there is no html toggles around it or anything. I was thinking if I open the colors.ccs and play with it will fix it. But if I change the color in this file, it will change the color of all the texts in my page. And if I try to check it in firebug, I see the codes in html and it tells me that the source file is styles.php and when I open this file, I don't see anything that I can edit. I can play with the html codes I see in firebug and change anything I want, but as you know when I refresh the page it goes away. Is there anyway I can have more control on moodle
Attachment sample02.jpg
In reply to bruce boman

by Henry Happ -
OK, now I'm lost. Your initial post states that you want change a single link's color. Perhaps the confusion was on my part as I assumed that you meant within a resource in your course. It appears that you want to change the way this particular course's link is displayed within your site. AFAIK, this isn't possible. You can change the CSS files, but, as you noted, everything will be changed.
In reply to Henry Happ

by bruce boman -
Sorry If I caused any confusion in your side.
As you can see in the pic. that the word"Midterm" in pic1 in the edit mode and in pic2 is when I save it. I wanted to change the color of it so it stands out, but you say it's not possible even in the programing sidesad
Attachment sample.jpg
In reply to bruce boman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Bruce - go to site admin>appearance and then HTML settings and untick/uncheck the setting there to allow HTML tags in activities and resources. It should work for your quiz above - however, your previous link was to course categories and courses and so I am not sure how you could do those.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by bruce boman -
Mary,
I did the following, but nothing changed and I still can't change the color of the word"Midterm" as shown in the pic.
Attachment sample.jpg
In reply to bruce boman

by bruce boman -
Maybe you can explain more like where to go next to get it changed because I just changed the setting and went to see if I can change it in the course edit setting.
In reply to bruce boman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Is Midterm a quiz? Did you go to the front page and in the site administration select the options as I said above?
What I did then was just type in my word with some html code either side
<font color="red">I'm red!</font>
and then saved it and it saved in the appropriate colour.
Attachment bruce.gif
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by bruce boman -
You are the woman, it did work just as I wanted it. If you were somewhere close to me, I would take you out for lunch;)
So you think for the circled stuff in the pic it won't work?
Attachment sample.jpg
In reply to bruce boman

by Mary Cooch -
thanks - you've made my eveningsmile No the circles items are course categories and course names and I don't see how you can change them without changing the code. But maybe someone else will come along and help -who lives nearer to you!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by bruce boman -
OK, so where can I look for the codes to change them if I can because I wanna give a try?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mauno Korpelainen -

From Administration > Courses > Add/edit courses

Click the category and Edit the category...

...or from course settings directly, for example with

<span style="color: red;">Miscellaneous</span>

<span style="color: red;">Test course</span>

(with that setting "Remove HTML tags from all activity names" disabled) wink

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by bruce boman -
It worked like a magic and thank you very much.
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Jamie Tinley -
big grinPerfect! Thank you Bruce for asking and Mary and Mauno for answering! I've been searching for an answer to this off and on for two years. I happened to look again yesterday and today and found your answers! Thanks so much.

for anyone else reading, for some reason the first way did not work for me but the second did so try both below.

<font color="red">I'm red!</font>

<span style="color: red;">Miscellaneous</span>

For admins, you might want to put the check mark back on the html for your teachers so they can change the fonts using the tool bar without having to know html code.
For those searching, I hope you come across one of these search terms I looked for below: change font color of name title heading database heading quiz name category course. I've searched it all! Thanks again Mary and Mauno!!!

and this link helped me figure out how to add sizes, again thanks Mauno
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=137519

So I can finally show all my users this:
<span style="font-size:200%;color: red;">FAQ Moodle and Elluminate Frequently Asked Questions</span>
In reply to Jamie Tinley

by Mary Cooch -
I expect Mauno's worked and mine didn't because his is the up to date code and mine's the deprecated one I just copied off the internet because I haven't learned how to write my own!smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by bruce boman -
Hey guys it's me again with another question.
I wanna add a black frame to the embedded QT movie in this page and this is the code for it, so what can I add to it to make the black frame around it?

<center><embed height="480" width="640" autoplay="false" src="http://localhost/file.php/7/videos/DSC_Mod_Intro_Firefighter.mp4" type="video/mp4" cache="TRUE" scale="TOFIT" /></center>

Attachment Untitled-1.jpg
In reply to bruce boman

by Jamie Tinley -
You might check out the flv player - it has a ton of backgrounds built in. It's a module at the moodle add-ons. Check it out.

edit: now you got me thinking about one of my blocks . . .

I would like to add a white background. perhaps we can help each other

<span style="font-size:175%;color: red;",<table bgcolor="white" >For Elluminate Support Call:</span>
or
<span style="font-size:175%;color: red;",bgcolor="white" >For Elluminate Support Call:</span>

but it does not seem to change the default theme color for that block.

got mine solved for anyone interested!!!
<span style="font-size:175%;color: red;"><font style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" >For Elluminate Support Call:</span>

In reply to Jamie Tinley

by bruce boman -
Well, I think I didn't make myself clear enough. I just wanna add a solid border around the quicktime movie file in the page, and I've been trying the border and the div border tags, but no luck so far.
In reply to bruce boman

by bruce boman -
I got it figured out and the code would be something like this:
<center>
<div style="border: 10px solid blue; width: 640px; height: 480px;">
<embed height="480" type="video/mp4" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" width="640" src="http://localhost/file.php/7/videos/DSC_Mod_Intro_Firefighter.mp4" cache="TRUE" scale="TOFIT" />
</div>
</center>

This would make a border around your movie file.
In reply to bruce boman

by bruce boman -
Hmm,
I'm bringing in another problem which is I have a flashplayer in the page and I want it to stop the auto play function when the page loads and I tried to play with the code and added this: <param name="Autostart" value="0" />
but it's not working. On the other hand, I set the autoplay function for the quicktime player to "false"and it worked.
here is the whole code for the flashplayer:
<center>
<object height="324" width="640" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,15,0"> <param name="movie" value="http://localhost/file.php/7/demos/DSC_Captivates/DSC_Navigation_demo_640/DSC_Navigation_demo_640.swf" /> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <param name="Autostart" value="0" /> <embed height="324" width="640" src="http://localhost/file.php/7/demos/DSC_Captivates/DSC_Navigation_demo_640/DSC_Navigation_demo_640.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" />
</object> </center>

Any help?