Multiple moodle installations on same server

Multiple moodle installations on same server

by Michael Richardson -
Number of replies: 3
This may not be a problem at all.

I am interested in installing several different instances of moodle on the same server. I'd like to do this so that each one can be individualized (different logos/themes/graphics) and so that a site focused on musculoskeletal radiology isn't littered with listings for breast disease courses (and vice versa). smile

I've successfully set up single-moodle instances on several servers with no problems.

From my reading of the moodle docs, it seems like all I need to do is to create separate databases in MySQL for each instance of moodle, have separate folders of moodledata for each one, and to have separate folders for each site within the webserver. Can it really be this simple?

I haven't tried this experiment yet, as I don't wish to mess up any of my successfully functioning production moodle servers.

TIA for any enlightenment.

Cheers from the U.S. Upper North Left,

Mike Richardson
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Richardson

Re: Multiple moodle installations on same server

by Simon Reynolds -

Hi Mike

No, this shouldn't be a problem at all. I have done this several times with complete success. Just a couple of things to watch out for:

In your configure/variables, give each of your Moodles a unique sessioncookie (around half way down the list). This will ensure that each time you log on to one of them, you should end up in the correct Moodle.

Give each installation a different name (I found using moodle1, moodle2 etc. a little confusing)

Backup your courses onto your desktop computer as often as possible (see next point)

Using different themes is a good idea. I have had two versions running, one with courses I was playing around with and one i was using for demonstration purposes and what do you know, I deleted the wrong course! I now have a theme with DEMO COURSES right across the top with a distinctive background!

Good luck.

Simon

by Thomas Haynes -
Mike...

It is really that simple.

I have multiple instances of moodle installed on the same server.  Each has its own database in MySQL, They each get their own folder in my /data directory. Each has its own directory on the web server.

It all works.

Regards...   Tom

by Michael Richardson -
Simon and Tom, thanks very much for the quick replies!

I'm glad to hear that it's as easy as I hoped. I'll install a second instance of moodle sometime later this week when I get some time at work.

Regards,

Mike