How to launch course full screen

How to launch course full screen

by s sta -
Number of replies: 8
Hi all,

I'm using SWFObject in my html file to launch my SCORM flash course with 100% width and height. This is great as the course fills the screen when the browser window opens or is resized.

The problem I have is that the new browser window that moodle launches is not opening full screen. At the moment it is set to open 968px by 768px (set in the SCORM settings), but when this is changed to 100%, the course opens as a tiny thumbnail.

Is there a way of making moodle open the course full screen in a new window?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
s
Average of ratings: -
In reply to s sta

Re: How to launch course full screen

by Abbas Shaikh -
Hi,
Any luck on this? I need to open my swf videos in full screen pop-up. Please let me know if you have any workaround for this. Thanks in advance.

- abbas
In reply to Abbas Shaikh

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
try entering 100% in the height and width boxes - I have a vague recollection of that working.

If not we're planning to re-work the Player UI in Moodle 2.0 - I'll try to remember to make sure that using percentages works.
In reply to Abbas Shaikh

by Tammy Brice -

I have tried so many suggestions from this forum to launch a SCORM module fullscreen (no title bars, menu bars, etc).  I changed parameters from 100% to the actual dimensions I need (1280 X 1024), set the course to launch in a new window, etc. No matter what I specify, the window has scrollbars.  I am thinking I need to modify Moodle and put a javascript launch code in there although, dependinding on what operating system a user has and what version of IE, I may have to make a note in my course specifying a user must have X system, with X ie, etc.

In reply to Tammy Brice

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tammy,

Couple of points:

#1 - A browser window will always have scroll bars if you set the width and height properties to larger than the available space. Older laptops have smaller screen sizes than you have specified and with the number of browser addon bars, that take up yet more available space, the height of users' browsers' available space is unpredictable.

#2 - Full-screen is not the same as full-browser: Full-screen launches a standalone Flash Player window and disables most of users' keyboards' keys (only escape works to exit full-screen mode) - useless if you want users to input text. Full-browser is when you set the width and height properties to 100% - the Flash Player window must be the only item displayed in the window for this to work, i.e. pure Flash embed and no other HTML on the page. This doesn't affect the dimensions of the embedded SWF file so if the window isn't big enough, some of the SWF file's stage will be cropped.

I think that you possibly want to set the stage scale mode properties in the Flash embed code. If you set:

<param name="scale" value="showall" />

or

var params = {};

params.scale = "showall";

Depending on the embed method you're using, you'll get, more or less, the desired full-browser effect, i.e. the stage will automatically adjust its size to the available space. Javascript embed methods generally work more conistently with this.

If you're Actionscript coding any part of your project(s), you can use "liquid layout" techniques that specifically adjust items on the stage according to the available space, much like an HTML + CSS web page does but you have more specific control over its behaviour. The AS event handler is stage.addEventListener(Event.RESIZE, resize); You can see some examples on my Moodle: http://moodle.matbury.com/course/view.php?id=17 - Try opening the Flash activities and resizing your browser window to see what happens. Since they're embedded on pages with Moodle navigation, only the width properties change. In full-browser mode, they adjust appropriately in all directions.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Tammy Brice -

Hi Matt, thanks for the input.  A few things, we have a course that will be accessed from classroom PC's only and the screen resolution is 1280 X 1024.  The stage size in the authoring tool we are using (Lectora) is set at 1280 X 1024 (Launches fine outside of moodle with no scrollbars, title, status, etc).  I first set Moodle to launch the course at 100% in a new window (no scrollbars etc) and the course launched in window with scrollbars, title bar, status bar.  I then changed the AICC/SCORM to launch in a predefined window size, 1280 X 1024 and got the same result as above.  I am thinking I will have to modify some code in Moodle to launch the window without the title bar, status bars, or scrollbars to achieve the same result as when launched outside of Moodle.

In reply to Tammy Brice

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tammy,

There are a few things that could be making your web pages larger.

One is the default padding around the browser window (notice that text and images rarely go right up to the edges). You can eliminate this with CSS:

<style type="text/css" media="screen">
            html, body, #myFlashContent { height:100%; }
            body { margin:0; padding:0; overflow:hidden; }
            object { outline:none; }
        </style>

You'll need to edit it appropriately for the embed code that you're using.

Again, the screen resolution isn't the same as the space available inside the browser window. Firefox has some neat web developer tool plugins for measuring stuff like this. This'll help you find the optimum dimensions for your Flash files.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

also - your browser settings may be interfering here - modern browsers allow the user to set whether a JS popup can disable url/statusbar etc - if those browser settings are in place there's not much you can do.

Also - please post full Moodle version information - especially when talking about SCORM - different Moodle versions have very different behaviors - 2.X has a revamped player and operates very differently from the 1.9 and lower versions

In reply to s sta

by Tammy Brice -

Our programmer got our screen to open full screen by modifying the player.js file.  Ours was for a SCORM file.  The player.js file is in the mod/scorm directory.  This is code we used:

function scorm_openpopup(url,name,options,width,height) {

windowobj = window.open(fullurl,name,'titlebar=no, scrollbar=no, fullscreen=yes');
    //To force fullscreen mode on launch, the option variable was replaced with three parameters.
        if (!windowobj) {
        return;
    }
    if ((width==100) && (height==100)) {

// Fullscreen
        windowobj.moveTo(0,0);
    }
    if (width<=100) {
        width = Math.round(screen.availWidth * width / 100);
    }
    if (height<=100) {
        height = Math.round(screen.availHeight * height / 100);