preventing students from moving backwards in a quiz

preventing students from moving backwards in a quiz

by Nathan Currier -
Number of replies: 12
I want to prevent students from going backwards in a quiz to questions they've already passed. That is, if I setup a 20 question multiple choice quiz with 1 question per page, is there a feature or code modification to prevent the student from going back to pages they've already moved beyond?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nathan Currier

Re: preventing students from moving backwards in a quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is not currently possible.

One day I may implement this, but, if I do, I am very tempted to make it so that once I teacher has turned this option on, they are not allowed to go back and edit any questions they have already created and added to the quiz wink

Seriously, what does this achieve, other than annoying students, and preventing them from checking their own work before submitting?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nathan Currier -

Ok thanks Tim.

I was asking because that is the test format of the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) that my site offers preparation courses for. Students are not able to go back to previous questions during their examination.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Sure, and it is reasons like that which justify Moodle implementing the feature. I just think that using it is dubious if you are interested in promoting learning.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -
By the way, this is MDL-11047 if you want to vote for it.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Whaooo! this dates back to sept. 2007 and has 7 votes... One reason why a teacher might want this option is, with questions spread over several pages in a quiz, if e.g. the wording of a question on page #2 gives away the answer to a question on page #1. A teacher may want the student to work out the answer of the page #1 question before they move on to page #2; they don't want the student to be able to move back from #2 to #1 and complete or edit their answer there.

I used to have that feature available in WebCT (years agowink) and I found it quite convenient.

Joseph

by Libby Laubscher -
I wanted to prevent students from moving backward during a quiz as well.  My concern is that if there are students taking the quiz on their laptops from the same location, they can "surf" questions to see which ones match up and thereby cheat during the quiz.  I have incorporated random questions and all the other possible cheat inhibitors but I think if they could not move back or skip forward, they would take the exam more seriously.
In reply to Libby Laubscher

by Itamar Tzadok -
but I think if they could not move back or skip forward, they would take the exam more seriously

I very much doubt that. If you want your students to take the exam more seriously present questions the answers to which should be worked out rather than copied. Then moving back and forth may demonstrate a genuine effort to apply in a new problem this or that technique used successfully in a previous problem. smile
In reply to Libby Laubscher

by Tim Hunt -
Of course, in a paper exam, students can answer the questions in whatever order they like.

Any every session I have been to on good exam technique has encouraged my to read the entire exam paper and make a plan before I start writing.

by Alex Arathoon -

Hi, we need this functionality too for a very valid reason. Our students will be taking an online listening test, and they will only be allowed to hear the audio twice, the students are then required to answer a series of questions.

We need to lock that listening off so they can't go back and listen to it again.
I was going to add the listening file into a 'description', the audio is coded as a flash file without an audio contoller present. Note: I am not using Moodles imbuilt flash player as this comes with an audio controller.

Is there any way to prevent the students from going back to a page?
We don't necessarily need to lock of questions, but the audio is absolutely vital to be locked.

Any suggestions appreciated, fellow Moodlers!

Cheers,
Alex.

In reply to Alex Arathoon

by Itamar Tzadok -

There has been some discussion about that but as far as I can recall no definite solution. You should be able to find it down this forum.

If the duration of the audio duratin is a few minutes or more, you can put it in a separate quiz set to two attempt, time limit of that duration and no review options. In the main quiz you can add a link to that quiz. The students will open the other quiz for the audio and that quiz will automatically close around the time the audio ends. With two attempts the students should be able to access the audio twice. Not sure it will work but probably worth a try. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Alex Arathoon -

Thank you Itamar, this is just the functionality we are looking for!

I don't think it's that important to prevent the students going back to previous question pages, but it is vital that the listening can only be hurd twice. The audio actually duplicated twice in the audio file, so it only needs to be heard once. Thi actually works very nicely, and I can see that once an attempt has been made it is locked.

You are a life saver, you are the second person to provide a solution within a few days to an issue I had. Great work!

Alex wink)