If student needs to retake quiz.....

If student needs to retake quiz.....

by Marcy Wrege -
Number of replies: 6
I need some advice. We have medical students taking tests. They need to obtain an 80% in order to pass. If they receive less than that they have to take it again until they get an 80% or higher. What I've been doing is manually resetting the quiz so that the student can take it again. But here is where the problem comes in. We want the students to see what they got right/wrong. So when they take it the first time and get under an 80 they see the correct answers, take it again and get a 100. I've tried using adaptive mode, but that doesn't work because there is no way to know if the student got over an 80%. Is there any way I can set it so that the student needs to get over an 80%? Maybe I can have extra questions so that they rotate while in adaptive mode, but I still need to know if there is a way to have them keep going until they get an 80. Any ideas?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcy Wrege

Re: If student needs to retake quiz.....

by Marcy Wrege -
let me add that there is not close date for the quiz. This is ongoing....we have new medical students coming every day. So the quiz never closes. I cannot set it so that they get the answers when the quiz closes.
In reply to Marcy Wrege

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Two suggestions:

First, allow the students multiple attempts, but with an enforced delay between attempts. At the same time, override the permissions for the student role, so they have permission to attempt the quiz, but not review their attempts. (They will be able to review their results immediately after the attempt, but not later.)

(The attempt and reviewmyattempts capabilities were separated in Moodle 1.9.x, where I can't remember exactly what x is.)

Second, I suggest you make multiple variants of each question that are slightly different, then use the random question feature (as explained here: Effective_quiz_practices#Robust_testing_with_random_variants). That way, on later attempts, students get slightly different questions, so the can't just memories the answers to the specific questions they got, but have to learn the general principles of the questions they got wrong.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcy Wrege -
Thanks Tim, for your response. Is there anything that I can do about the 80% or higher score? I need to only have those that received an 80% or lower retake the quiz.
In reply to Marcy Wrege

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, but does it matter if a student chooses to take the quiz more often for practise?

You could add a comment in the overall feedback telling the student not to bother taking the quiz again.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcy Wrege -
I guess it doesn't matter if the student takes the quiz more than once for practice. WIll I able to see the number of attempts and the grade for each attempt? If so, then I will know what their first score is.
In reply to Marcy Wrege

by Tim Hunt -
Yes, you can see all the attempts of all the students in the quiz results tab.