Mandatory questions

per M B -
Nombre de respostes: 15
its possible set all questions of test(quiz) mandatory ??? thx
Mitjana de qualificacions: -
En resposta a M B

Re: Mandatory questions

per Joseph Rézeau -
Imatge Core developers Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Plugin developers Imatge Testers Imatge Translators

By "mandatory questions" I suppose you mean you want to force students to answer all the questions in a quiz. In this forum I have already expressed the opinion that it does not make sense from a pedagogic point of view to force students to answer a question. Especially in the case of multiple choice questions, if you ask them to choose between one correct answer and 2 or 3 incorrect ones, and the student has no idea what the correct answer is, then your "mandatory" feature would actually force the student to make a random choice, which is already too prone to happen.

I much prefer to have a student not answer a question when he does not know the answer than to force them to answer "anything" at random.

Joseph

En resposta a Joseph Rézeau

per Ravishankar Somasundaram -
Dear Joseph,

Interesting i agree with that in case of multiple choice questions, but in case of short answer,essay ?

i would like to know how can we deal this from pedagogic stand point of view
En resposta a Ravishankar Somasundaram

per Joseph Rézeau -
Imatge Core developers Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Plugin developers Imatge Testers Imatge Translators

Even in the cases of short answer or essay questions, if a student does not want to answer a question there is no point forcing them.

On the other hand, if the OP's question meant "is it possible to warn a student that they have not answered all the questions in a quiz upon submitting it?" then I agree that such a warning should be issued, simply to warn the student that they may have overlooked one or more questions in the quiz and give them a chance to answer them before finally submit. This question has been asked a few times already in this forum and I believe Tim has worked out a solution (for forthcoming Moodle 2.0 version).

ATB

Joseph

per Ravishankar Somasundaram -
Yes i completely agree regarding that we need to alert the students that he has left few questions with question numbers indicated if any and options to fill them up straight away from the final page, i have spoken to tim regarding this in a forum where he explained me about the flagging feature and all others.

but what do you mean by OP's question in above reply ^ ^ ?

per Mircea T -
Hello

I do agree that user should receive a warning message and can not move to the next question until he answers the actual question

In my case, user must respond to all questions because the final score matter for the salary increase. You might say that he should pay attention to complete all questions, but we all know what happen in real life, users often don't do what they have to do. So to avoid any possible complaint, it is desirable that the questions can be validated in any way
En resposta a M B

per Sandra King -
I know it is not pedagogically correct. But I have this requirement in order to get a course approved by the state of California.

Requires students to answer one hundred percent (100%) of the review questions before allowing the student to proceed to the next section/chapter or to complete the course.

Can anyone help me with this?

I have noticed in the past that in a Lesson, if the student doesn't answer a question before hitting submit, it tells the student.

Thank you
Sandra King
En resposta a Sandra King

per John Gifford -

So is there a way of making a question mandatory/compulsory?

I'm using Moodle 2.4, upgrading to 2.5 this summer. But I'm trying to promote the English department to start using Moodle. Their entire course consists of Controlled assessments that I believe can be delivered as an online quiz with essay type questions manually graded.
Having got hold of some of their past controlled assessments, particularly English Literature the assessment consists of answer 2 questions one from section A (that consists of 5 multipart questions where they choose 1 to answer) and one from section B (a single essay question, in this case about poems)
Therefore to complete the assessment I "need" the Q6 (section B question) to be a mandatory/compulsory thing as the students have to attempt it. Is there a way of "forcing" this case?

En resposta a John Gifford

per Joseph Rézeau -

@John,

"You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink".

Joseph

per John Gifford -

True! but aphorisms don't help all that much!

I think I might have to split the quiz up into 2 parts. They do Section A as one quiz and then a separate quiz for Section B. It's the only way I can think to guarantee that they at least attempt Section B.

per John Gifford -

As an update I found a solution that appears to work, by using the lesson activity instead of a quiz. I've constructed the paper as a branching lesson where they choose the book they've read answer the part a question, then choose whether they want to try part b or part c. When they then submit from part b or part c it jumps them to the compulsory question (Q6).

I lose the security and exam aspects but it appears to work, just have to get an english teacher to try it.

per Rodney Wolford -

For much of our work providing safety training to workers we have found that it is beneficial to offer as a choice "I don't know." That way we can more accurately measure pre/post changes without inducing a guessing game.

We are also able to set adult learners more at ease by letting them know that it's alright not to know something when you start.

But this approach does require every question to be answered. As we are moving from use of classroom based Audience Response Systems to online web-based this has been a yet unmet challenge.

Rod

En resposta a Rodney Wolford

per John Gifford -

Hi Rodney

If by audience response systems you mean the sort of handheld voting systems. Have a look at the realtime quiz in Moodle it's capable of mimicing the voting systems by supplying all users a question with a time limit. The teacher can see what answers and even who answered what to what question.

I haven't tried it myself as yet but the school I work at invested in 4 handheld systems 2 years ago (36 remotes in each) that have never really worked and devour AAA batteries from one session to the next. So if I can provide an alternative that does work for next to nothing I win!

Otherwise the lesson module seems to solve the problems I had with this particular paper type. My only proviso is the fact that quizzes can be navigated back and forth while lessons can't.

per Rodney Wolford -

Hello John,

As far as the Audience Response System (hand-held voting system), we have been using them very successfully for classroom training for about 6 years now (annual battery replacements). Its just that the programs we have been preparing and delivering are moving out of the classroom, so we have turned to Moodle.

What you propose, using a real time quiz via Moodle, may add a very interesting wrinkle to what we are already doing. Definitely will look into it.

Thanks for the heads up on it.

Rod