Problems with rendering equations

Problems with rendering equations

by Frank Park -
Number of replies: 8
So I have two moodle sites. The original one renders latex just fine, but the new one I made does not render latex. It displays the code between $$. It then links it to a specific page where it tells me to debugg something. Both sites are identical as far as enabled filters go. Do I need to enable latex with the server? What is this debugging thing? Any information would help a lot. Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Park

Re: Problems with rendering equations

by Frank Park -
I get this error message when I try to render the latex/mimetex

sh: /home/enca02/public_html/satpedia/filter/tex/mimetex.linux: Permission denied
The shell command
"/home/enca02/public_html/satpedia/filter/tex/mimetex.linux" -e "/home/enca02/public_html/satpedia/uploaddata/filter/tex/d1e56126337cd6e29b16fe759232ce90.gif" -- '\Large f(x)=\\Bigint_{-\\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt'
returned status = 126
File size of mimetex executable /home/enca02/public_html/satpedia/filter/tex/mimetex.linux is 491043
The file permissions are: 100644
The md5 checksum of the file is c294ab11905323bb5cb0f451241bedc1
Image not found!
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/enca02/public_html/satpedia/filter/tex/texdebug.php:149) in /home/enca02/public_html/satpedia/filter/tex/texdebug.php on line 104
No text output available

In reply to Frank Park

by Mauno Korpelainen -

The file permissions are: 100644 (for file filter/tex/mimetex.linux) simply means that you have not given that file permission to execute - it is an executable file and needs permission to execute if you want to use it.

Try to change the permissions of that one file to 755 (to render latex with mimetex)

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Frank Park -

How would I change the permissions of the one file to 755.  I am a little confused as to which file I would change and where. 

The thing is, the exact files (mimetex.linux / texdebug / latex ) work on my other moodle site, but not on this one.  What I mean is, no errors occur when I use those files in my other moodle site, but it does when I use it for this one. 

In reply to Frank Park

by Frank Park -
I hate cute ftp... I can access the files in it self.  Do I actually change the linux file?  I searched for 100644 and didn't find anything.  Sorry if I sound like a newbie. 
In reply to Frank Park

by Marc Grober -
If you don't like cuteftp don't use it. How about fireFTP? Fact is most FTP clients have ability to change properties of files. Try looking at help files for the client.

Why r 2 sites different-beats me, but as you see the perms of 644 are not going Get you there

by Frank Park -
To change the file, would I need to talk to my ISP or can I do this myself?
In reply to Frank Park

by Mauno Korpelainen -

by Frank Park -

Oh cool.  I got it! Thanks so much!  I did not realize I could right click and change the values from there.  "duh" =)

Thanks again for your help!