Below is the whole test and the way it is scored. I appreciate any help!!!!
Pretest for Attitudes Toward Computers in Healthcare
Each indicator is to be rated using a five point Likert scale.
Choose the response that reflects your attitude for each statement.
1. = Agree Strongly
2. = Agree
3. = Not certain
5. = Disagree Strongly
1. The computer is a powerful enabling tool.
2. In healthcare, computers could save a lot of paperwork.
3. Machines and I don't mix.
4. I feel I am a skilled typist.
5. I feel alarmed when I think of using a computer.
6. I have excellent finger dexterity.
7. I regularly use a computer at home.
8. I would love to be a proficient user of computers.
9. Bedside computers will irritate patients.
10. I will never feel relaxed about using a computer.
11. Computers can help me to be creative.
12. I would enjoy learning course work using a computer program.
13. Computers are frustrating to use.
14. Listening to people using computer jargon intimidates me.
15. Computers will someday put health professionals out of a job.
16. I am in control when I use a computer.
17. I relate well to technology and machines.
18. I feel confident that I can master using a computer.
19. I can let my creativity flow when writing using a computer.
20. Computers in healthcare will create more work for nurses.
21. Computers can be great problem-solving tools.
22. Computers are too complicated for me to learn well.
23. Computers are impersonal and dehumanizing.
24. The future promise of computers in healthcare excites me.
25. I feel restless and confused when I think of using a computer.
26. I don't intend to own a home computer.
27. I feel a computer course in nursing is totally unnecessary.
28. People who like computers are introverted and antisocial.
29. I know more about computers than most faculty or administrators do.
30. Working with computers is boring and tedious.
31. I can easily master the content of a computer lesson
32. I feel ambivalent about computers and technology.
33. Computers are everywhere, it is natural for them to used in healthcare.
34. I like to use the Internet to research health and nursing information.
35. It takes longer to chart on the computer than on paper.
36. I enjoy using technology to communicate with colleagues (email, etc.)
37. Computers help me to keep up to date with nursing issues, knowledge, research.
38. Computers are just another object that takes me away from my patients.
39. I resent the thought of having to use computers in my nursing practice.
40. Using technology in practice interferes with my ability to be caring to my patients.
P.A.T.C.H. Assessment Scale Scoring
A. For the following Statements, use the scoring scheme in the first table box to find your
score for each.
Rating Chosen Give Yourself these many points
Use the above scoring scheme to assess your score for each of these statements:
1_______ 2_______ 4_______ 6________ 7_______ 8_______ 11_______ 12_________
16______ 17_______ 18______ 19_______ 21______ 24______ 29_______ 31_________
33______ 34 _______ 36 ______ 37 ______
Now add these up to find Subtotal A: = __________
B. For the remainder of the statements, use the following rating scheme.
P.A.T.C.H. Assessment Scale 3
Rating Chosen Give Yourself these many points
1 = -1
Use the second scoring scheme (above) to assess your score for each of these statements:
3_______ 5________ 9_______ 10________ 13_______ 14_______ 15_______ 20________
22______ 23_______ 25______ 26________ 27_______ 28_______ 30_______ 32________
35______ 38 ______ 39 ______ 40 _______
Now add these up to find Subtotal B: = __________
Grand Total: Add Subtotals A and B: = __________
P.A.T.C.H. Assessment Scale Score Interpretations
Find the Range that contains the Score You Achieved on the P.A.T.C.H. Scale
-28 to - 40 points Positive indication of Cyberphobia. Beginner stage in experience with
computer basics or applications. Ambivalence or anxiety may occur,
related to the use of computers in healthcare. May appreciate help
learning basic computer skills.
-27 to -15 points Indicates some uneasiness about using computers. Very basic knowledge
of computer basics and applications. Unsure of usefulness of computers
-16 to -4 points Moderate comfort in using computers. Has basic knowledge of computers
and applications. Limited awareness of applications of computer
technology in healthcare.
-3 to 12 points Feels comfortable using user-friendly computer applications. Aware of
the usefulness of computers in a variety of settings. Has a realistic view
of current computer capabilities in healthcare.
13 to 26 points Confident of ability to use a variety of computer programs. Sees
computers as beneficial in the development of society. Enthusiastic view
of the potential of computer use in healthcare.
27 to 40 points Very confident that they can learn to use a computer to boost creativity,
and perform routine functions. Recognizes the unique value of using
information technology in society. Idealistic, positive view related to
computer applications in healthcare.