Can't see grouped data from "View Responses" in child course

Can't see grouped data from "View Responses" in child course

by Thomas Robb -
Number of replies: 2
It seems that everyone starts out their messages saying how great the questionnaire module is, and I will not be the exception. Thank you very much, Joseph, for creating and maintaining it!!

Now, I'm having a specific problem:

1) I created a questionnaire as "public" in one course.
2) I created an instance of the same questionnaire in a second course.
3) If I go to the first course, I can see all of the questionnaire results regardless of whether they were submitted in the first or second course BUT
4) I can only see groups that belong to the current (first) course.

I was expecting that I would get the "View responses" tab at the top of the instance in the second course, as well, but in fact, there are no tabs at all at the top of the questionnaire in the 2nd course. I don't think it's a permission issue since I'm the site admin.

Of course, if I download the data, I can do whatever I want with it, put I was hoping to be able to see the current state of responses "in situ".

See the attached screenshot of the top of the two instances.

Attachment QuestionnaireTabProblem-Robb.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Robb

Re: Can't see grouped data from "View Responses" in child course

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your appreciation of the Questionnaire module. I did not create it, only took part in its refactoring in various stages, and I am co-maintaining it with the invaluable help of Mike Churchward.

1.- That said, let me clarify things, and explain the expected behavior of the so-called "public" questionnaires.

• In Course A, create questionnaire QA and make it "public" and set it to "Groups separate"
  • In Course B, create questionaire QB based on public questionnaire QA
  • In Course C, create questionaire QC based on public questionnaire QA
  • Courses B and C have students grouped into groups.
  • Students answer the questionnaires in courses B and C.
  • Then, the teacher can view the responses from courses B and C "consolidated" in questionnaire QA in course A.
  • Because the "consolidated results" in QA in course A may come from a number of courses which may have groups (or not), and those groups may have identical names, it would be quite complicated to display the results other than "in bulk". Should we have a feature to display results from individual courses? from individual courses AND groups within those courses OR across the courses? What do you think?

2.- You write "3) If I go to the first course, I can see all of the questionnaire results regardless of whether they were submitted in the first or second course"

Does this mean that, in that scenario, you have students in Course A who actually can respond to public questionnaire QA? That should not be. A "public" questionnaire should be placed in a special course with no students in it, and should not be taken. It should only be used as a repository to collect data from the other courses where it has been "copied" for that purpose.

3.- You write "I was expecting that I would get the "View responses" tab at the top of the instance in the second course, as well, but in fact, there are no tabs at all at the top of the questionnaire in the 2nd course. I don't think it's a permission issue since I'm the site admin."

This is the intended behavior of questionnaire instances based on a public questionnaire. No one is allowed to view the responses in the courses where they have been created. Responses are only available to the original public questionnaire, in the course where it was created. This is clearly mentioned in the online Help file (Advanced Settings tab / Content options / Questionnaire Type).

Joseph

EDITED

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Can't see grouped data from "View Responses" in child course

by Thomas Robb -
Hello Joseph,

Yes, I can view by response, but with almost 1300 responses, it doesn't make much sense to view things that way. I *really* would like to be able to view by group, though.

I did find, for example, by viewing the groups taking our "Oral Communication" course, that only 10% of our lower level classes had experienced "Extensive Reading" in their high school years, while 30% had done so for our highest level students, which is a very significant difference. I really would like to be able to eyeball similar differences between groups, while the questionnaire is still open, without having to download everything and throw it into a stat program.

In response to your question:

You write "3) If I go to the first course, I can see all of the questionnaire results regardless of whether they were submitted in the first or second course"

Does this mean that, in that scenario, you have students in Course A who actually can respond to public questionnaire QA? That should not be. A "public" questionnaire should be placed in a special course with no students in it, and should not be taken. It should only be used as a repository to collect data from the other courses where it has been "copied" for that purpose.

I just checked and, yes, Course A (id=16, course=134) and Course B (id=17,course=139) both have the same sid = 16. At least this way I can see the groups for of the courses... IS there a come problem with the logic that would prevent tabs from showing in the other course, as well? It would appear much more
Attachment Picture_1016.jpg