A Cry for Help

A Cry for Help

by Simon Fraser -
Number of replies: 5
I have spent hours trying to figure this out without success. I am running Moodle 1.9.7 and this is what I want to do.

I have a scale (unacceptable, poor, fair and good) that I would like to associate with points (-10, 0, 1, 2). The -10 is there as a penalty for plagiarism.

I have set up the scale above so that tutors can quickly select one of the scale options for my forums.

Students are allowed to do three posts for each forum. I would like the grader report and the user report to show the number of points accumulated for each forum. The maximum would be 6 and the minimum would be -30.

I have played around with the scale and grade settings in the administration block, the course admin block and in the activity settings block but with absolutely no success.

As an alternative I am willing to settle for a value system but I would like to be able to set the values at -10, 0,1 and 2. However, I can find a way to do this in Moodle.

Many thanks in advance.
In reply to Simon Fraser

Re: A Cry for Help

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Simon,
Depending on your configuration, scales can be completely non-numeric ( aka text labels), or they will be subject to a very strict rules of conversion to numbers.
If your installation allows to include scales into aggregation, then please see this page for examples on how they will be converted: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Scales#Example_scales

If I were you, I would leave -10 out of the picture (scale) and use manual gradebook column to record that later.

(I would actually set each forum to be graded not on a scale at all. I would set it to "Aggregate type": Sum". Grade: 6. Yes, instructors would not be able to enter 0 in such case, but if they do not provide nay grade for a post, it will be = 0 in this scenario)
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Simon Fraser -
Thanks Elena,

I came across the sample scales document earlier this morning. I was hoping that there was some way around this limitation.

Not sure I understand your last paragraph.

As an alternative - is there any way I can get the grader report to show the grade for each post rather than a summary.

This way I could see that John smith Did 1 good post and 2poor posts in forum 1. Earlier versions of Moodle seemed to do this by default.

As to the -10 - I need a way to assign penalty points from within a forum post. The tutors won't have access to the grade book and I have too many students to do this myself.

Simon

In reply to Simon Fraser

by Elena Ivanova -
"I need a way to assign penalty points from within a forum post." & "get the grader report to show the grade for each post rather than a summary."
Sorry, not possible, unless you hack the code.
I cannot advise on that sad

p.s. Earlier versions were not able to show grade per post in the gradebook too, so they were set to only grade per forum, as of now.

I offered this way around, but, based on your description, it will not help.

I think you want to vote for this one: MDL-17258
In reply to Simon Fraser

by Simon Fraser -
Hi Elena

I am giving up on my scales and trying to use the numeric scales. In this case 3. My tutor should then be able to select 3/3, 2/3 , 1/3 and 0/3.

My new question is where do I set maximum grade for a forum? What seems to be happening now is that Moodle is using the maximum grade for a post as the maximum grade for a forum.

So if the best grade a post can get is 3 and a students is allowed 3 posts in any given forum then, by my reckoning, the max grade for that forum is 9.

However Moodle seems to be setting it at 3. At least the maximum the grader report will display is 3.

So I have a test student that got 3 points for 1 post and 2 for another. Yet her record in the grader report only shows 3!

I like Moodle but gradebook is not intuitive and very frustrating. Definitively the weakest link.

In reply to Simon Fraser

by Simon Fraser -
As a follow up. What mySQL table does Moodle use to capture the grades assigned to forums. I am thinking that at the end of the semester I will just dump this table into Excel.