Stuck between versions

Stuck between versions

by Jeff Arrowood -
Number of replies: 14
I was running Moodle 1.5 and I tried to upgrade to 1.9.7, but the upgrade gave me a blank administrator screen. My research into the problem clued me into the need to install the UTF-8 encoding. I tried to install 1.6.9 to run the UTF-8 migration tool, but the install had many errors and the admin screen gave me the message that the database cannot be downgraded. I also tried 1.7.7 with the same result.

I tried to restore my original 1.9.5 install, and it did not restore. Now I am stuck between versions. I cannot install 1.9.7 because the installer stops me at the check for UTF-8. I cannot install previous versions because my database is upgraded somehow. My original install is not working.

Help!

I think the solution would be to install and run the UTF-8 migration tool manually, but I am not adept at MySQL or PHP and I'm afraid to mess things up any more.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Arrowood

Re: Stuck between versions

by Christopher Murad -
Jeff,
I Hope you made a backup of your database before you started any upgrade.

my suggestion would be to roll the database back to the pre upgrade 1.5...then upgrade to 1.6.9

from there upgrade to moodle 1.8

and then you can upgrade to moodle 1.9.7

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Chris
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Christopher Murad

by Jeff Arrowood -
I did back up my database, but any attempt to roll back to 1.5 turns up errors on my site. I will try again. Thanks!
In reply to Christopher Murad

by Jeff Arrowood -
OK, so I reinstalled 1.5 and restored my saved database. I now have an error message when I try to point my browser to the Moodle site:

Fatal error: Class 'Object' not found in /home2/fromthea/public_html/classroom/lib/setuplib.php on line 20

I looked at setuplib.php but couldn't figure out what this part of the code was trying to do, or where the Class 'Object' was supposed to be.

My various installs have returned different but similar errors in which one php file is trying to call an element that doesn't exist. I don't understand why this would happen on a reinstall of a version that had been working previously. I did rename the old folder and installed 1.5 clean, so I don't think it's a matter of file from the previous installs messing with the current install.

Am I going to have to wipe the database and do a completely new install of 1.9.7? Obviously I'd hate to do that, but this mess just seems to be getting worse.

by James McLean -
Object in Moodle is simply stdClass extended, it should be defined...

Make sure all your files are there, sounds like something (or a lot of things) are missing..
In reply to James McLean

by Jeff Arrowood -
Are there files I'm supposed to transfer from previous installs into the new install, besides the template file?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Nothing you have forgotten should break it. The only thing you need is the config.php file.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You should really have taken/kept a backup of your 1.5 program files just in case there were modifications you had forgotten about. I take it you didn't and are using a 'clean' copy of 1.5?

You should be ok with whatever the last version of 1.5 was. If in doubt, download the most up to date version and use that code. Remember, it will still need to upgrade so go to http://your.site/moodle/admin.

If it worked before it should work now. Don't panic just yet.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Jeff Arrowood -
For 1.5 I'm using SimpleScripts, a script service that upgrades subscribed scripts automatically and backs up the previous install. I was actually able to go back to an earlier backup and it worked!

I think the problem may have been that when I tried to upgrade to 1.9, SimpleScripts updated the SQL database as well but did not migrate it to UTF-8.

Now, I am upgrade to 1.6.9 from a zip file rather than from SimpleScripts, which only allows you to upgrade to the latest stable version. Should I extract the zip file over the 1.5 folder, or should I rename the 1.5 folder and extract the zip file into a new directory, then rename that directory to become my Moodle site directory?

by Howard Miller -
Well... it's moodle that does the UTF8 upgrade no SimpleScripts. However, you cannot go by 1.6 without doing the upgrade first.

The newer version of Moodle should have given you a nasty warning about it though. Perhaps you missed it.

by Jeff Arrowood -
OK, I made it up to version 1.9.5. Now I'm trying to install version 1.9.7, but when I go to the admin page after the installation I'm getting this message:

Fatal error: Class 'Object' not found in /home2/fromthea/public_html/classroom/lib/setuplib.php on line 20

I got this before, but at least now it's in version 1.9!

Any ideas?

by Howard Miller -
What version of PHP are you running?

by Jeff Arrowood -
My server is running version 5.2.11

by Jeff Arrowood -
Wooohooo! I think I've got it! I got through the entire upgrade procedure for 1.9.7 and everything seems to be working.

whew.

Thank you so much for your patient help!

Jeff

by Christopher Murad -
Just now had time to come back and check on this..

Glad to see you're up and running!