Using both email and unread-posts notification

Using both email and unread-posts notification

by aaron aaron -
Number of replies: 0
Hello!

I've searched around, and not found a specific answer on this here...

Previously (last year) when i was using Moodle at https://gc-courses.marlboro.edu i could set each course to send me email for every new post in the forum.

This was helpful, and it allowed me to quickly scan for posts that required an immediate response, and to deal with those quickly via "see in context."

At the same time, all of the forums i was participating in would accumulate "unread posts" which allowed me to focus my attention the next time i visited the forums using a browser.

Apparently, this behaviour has been changed, as of 1.8.11 (???)

What apparently happens now is that one hour after the email of the post has been sent out, the system marks that post as "read" under the logic that you must have read your email.

I can see the logic in this, but i believe it is faulty. The "unread posts" are (should be) exactly that.. posts which have not been read.

Emailed copies of posts are exactly that as well--- emailed copies which will be read or unread depending on the users' MUA.

Is there a way to set this back to the original behaviour? The administrators at my school had not been aware of the change, and indeed i may be the only person complaining about it.

Still, i wonder if you REALLY meant to make send-emails and unread-posts mutually exclusive options.

thanks!
~aaron

ps: here's the note from the Moodle admin at my school:

One oddity I've noticed. You can consider this a feature if you want--I'm reasonably certain the behavior is intentional.

If you are both subscribed via email to a given forum and doing read/unread tracking for that forum, forum tracking automatically marks posts read after they've been sent out in a subscription email. (subscription emails are only sent once per hour).

This makes a certain amount of sense--if you're already getting posts emailed to you, you don't have to look at them a second time through your browser just to get them marked as read. It did however make me think that tracking was broken until I understood the behavior.
Average of ratings: -