Cost of moodle hoster

Cost of moodle hoster

by Christopher Toker -
Number of replies: 29

anyone have an idea off the cost of having a dedicated moodle partnerhost out site.

cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christopher Toker

Re: Cost of moodle hoster

by Marc Grober -
Why not get moodle partner addresses from moodle.com, write up your requirements and ask them for a quote?
In reply to Marc Grober

by Christopher Toker -

The Moodle partners in the uk play there cards close to there chest, so they are reluctant to tell me out right.  I was just hoping for a ball point figure of someone.

Cheers anyway

Chris

by Marc Grober -
If they won't give you a quote you probably don't want to have anything to do with them (someone at Moodle.com should take note) and might want to consider being hosted by parties not Moodle Partners.....
In reply to Marc Grober

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Chris,

You can see prices here : http://moodle.com.au/services.php. Not in the UK but it's a starting point.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Christopher Toker -

many thanks for that, it has give me a good idea of what it will cost me.

cheers

chris

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
With Moodle Parter hat firmly on this time....

Our (basic) prices are on our web site....

http://www.e-learndesign.co.uk/moodle-hosting/

and I think you'll find we are a UK Partner wink

I'd be more than happy to provide indicative costs for any services in this or any other forum. Do note that the final price often comes down to the details in anything beyond the simplest systems.

by Bryan Williams -
Christopher,

Most Moodle partners are fairly transparent on their pricing, unlike commercial vendors who have more prices than the airlines and won't display their pricing. For example, pteppic.net in your area is one of the oldest and most reliable UK Moodle partners offering hosting and they publicly display their offerings.
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Marc Grober -
Moodle Partners are commercial and are not certified re expertise, nor are published rates typically able to address all possible permutations of specifics that might be at issue. However, I have found some US MPs to be very forthcoming as far as responding to an RFP (though an escalation beyond first responder may have been necessary.)

My initial point was only to suggest that emailing an rfp to MPs would likely get the OP quicker more quotes than posting to the forum, but then I also assumed that prior to posting the OP would have checked out published pricing and would already have requirements identified.

I sympathize with the OP, considering past coverage by TEC of performance of at least one UK MP. If one is new to Moodle, hosting a pilot moodle at an inexpensive nonMP web host such as DH might be a better place to start, researching options as you grow out of modest resources. Perhaps more cost effective than shelling out thousands of dollars for resources that won't be fully exploited...
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Terry Aird -

Hi Christopher,

We have a company in Ireland (Enovation) hosting a site for us. Us, being Dollond & Aitchison. I think costs will depend a little on how many people you envisage using your site at any one time, but I can thoroughly recommend them - always willing to help and sort out any problems or issues. They kept the site up-to-date and backed up.

Although, due to our merger, we have had to put any development on hold.

Unfortunately I can't divulge how much this cost on such a public forum (we have recently merged with Boots Opticians - don't want to spoil my chances of continued employment!!) but if you contact them....

http://www.enovation.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=60&moodlead=enovation.hosting

...I'm sure they'll be able to help.

Another plug - we used a company called HowtoMoodle to give us on site training (worth it if you're wanting to use the software to it's fullest potential).

http://www.howtomoodle.com/           .....it was via them that we found Enovation.

(Both Moodle Partners by-the-way)

Good luck

by Sandy Pittendrigh -
If you know how to set up a server, for most school situations the cost is pretty close to
nothing. You need an internet connection and a fixed IP address, which most schools
have. I work at a university and I can have as many fixed IP addresses as I want.
But the same is true for my local high school too.

Then you need a $500 box and a (free) linux installation DVD, plus the skills to set it up.
I realize the "requisite skills" are the catch-22 show stopper for many. I mention this
only because the skills are not all that hard to learn. Some one (perhaps me someday)
should use moodle to do a free online course in how to install linux, mysql and Moodle.

Start to finish it takes me about an hour and a half, at most. Once installed and setup,
building a course can take weeks or even, in some cases, months of work. But setting
up the server is a snap.

If your school cannot offer you a fixed IP address for free, a dedicated server at GoDaddy
dot com is about a $100 bucks a month. A "virtual dedicated server" is about $40 bucks
a month.

In reply to Sandy Pittendrigh

by Christopher Toker -

thanks for the help we need a big set up, but setting up my own server is not something i have done before.  i will have to do some playing at home.

thanks angain for the help

Chris

by Damien McHugh -
Hi Christopher,

I currently run our school moodle on a very low cost shared server (bluehost) which has it's problems.

Last year I investigated the cost of migrating to a dedicated server with a number of moodle partners and prices vary depending on what you want (e.g. custom themes, number of users, bandwidth etc.) but a general ball park figure for a large school (800 students +) worked out at around £8000 for the first year and 4 or 5000 for each year after that.

I thought that it was steep but they do offer a very comprehensive service and I suppose you are paying for reliability, security and piece of mind.

As for our school....we're sticking with the cheap option and we warn teachers to back up their courses regularly! wink

Damien
In reply to Damien McHugh

by Christopher Toker -

Many thanks for the information.  we are trying to keep the costs to a minimum but we need a fairly heavy duty set up (possibility of 1000 + logged on at any one time) 

So I think we will have to take the more costly option.

Thanks again

Chris

In reply to Damien McHugh

by Marc Grober -
Here we go again.....

I thought that it was steep but they do offer a very comprehensive service and I suppose you are paying for reliability, security and piece of mind.

Aside from the point that such an estimate might actually be low from the perspective of having over 800 students online intensively using Moodle at the same time, Damien's post apparently resulted in a response indicating that purchase of services from MP's did not necessarily assure one of reliability, security and piece of mind. The response went on to inquire what one would think of an MP with sites that evidence security issues. As I saw this on my iphone I could not view the video that was apparently included in the post as evidence of the point argued.

When I went back to see what had actually been posted on a platform that could handle the video, lo and behold the post was disparu.

Now, there was nothing about the text that was inappropriate; as I recall the text simply pointed out an indisputable fact. Soooo there must have been something about the video that was inappropriate.... I would appreciate finding out what was deleted and why.... If this is an instance where the Code of Conduct has been implemented, I think we need to talk about judgment and implementation, especially here in the Lounge....

In reply to Marc Grober

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I deleted a post from this discussion as it violated the section in our code of conduct regarding respecting other forum users. Rather than deleting the whole post, I realise now that it would have been better simply to delete the content of the post and add some text explaining why the post had been edited. Apologies for my mistake.
Average of ratings: Not very cool (7)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Marc Grober -
I posted to this form and my post was deleted ....
Helen states that the post was deleted because it violated the "code" but helen apparently refused to explain why it violates the code, especially since the second item I posted already appears in essentially the form objected to elsewhere...
The initial posting simply indicated that as one can not be sure whether one will get value for the money one pays a Moodle Partner, the term caveat emptor applies, as suggested by the person initial deleted......

So..... what is obvious is that any words pointing out that some Moodle Partners appear to have been at best negligent is verboten, so I have to suggest that unless people stop asking about hosting choices, there will be lots for helen to delete, won;t there?

In reply to Marc Grober

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Yawn.... sleepy
Average of ratings: Not cool (1)
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Bols Heviks -
An "educator" indifferent to censorship is no educator.

Source: You're an "educator"...look it up wink
In reply to Bols Heviks

by Marc Grober -
BH,
Don's EFLuent so you have to take that into consideration before brow beating him over his apparent exhaustion...
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Reposting Mr. Grober's Post

by Bols Heviks -
This post breached our code of conduct and has been removed.

(Edited by Helen Foster - original submission Thursday, 11 February 2010, 01:16 AM)
In reply to Bols Heviks

by ben reynolds -
> This violated what part of your Bolshevick code?

This kind of response to any message is not helpful. Helen quite clearly apologized for her action.

I did not see the post & have no interest in this issue. But I am offended by this response.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Marc Grober -
Well, Helen apologized for not documenting the deletion of the initial posting. She then deleted my two posts which pointed out that there was nothing in the initial post that warranted deletion. Her response was to delete my posts. The comment re bolshevism appears to focus on the censorship that is going on: to wit someone might delete one of your posts without notice to you for reasons that will never be disclosed to or reviewed by the community.

The focal point in this instance is the past negligence of some MPs which constitutes evidence, one would argue, of the premise posited, that assuming performance metrics from MPs is unwarranted. NOT that all MPs are useless toads sucking limited resources for uncertain returns.

And, I would guess that the poster is miffed because opposition to such censorship is indeed the hallmark of education. Moreover, though the recent adoption of the prose by the American fringe right puts me off the reference, as suggested by Herr Niemoller, They will eventually come for you.....

In any event, this is the lounge, and no one is forcing you to be here or read this....

by Sandy Pittendrigh -
...there's a lurking entrepreneurial opportunity here.
Setting up a single instance, low-traffic linux server
empowered with Moodle and a mirror-image backup disk,
is a two hour snap of the keyboard.

So what would it take to scale up to a high traffic service, with thousands of multiple simultaneous logins?

Not a great deal, I don't think.

One or two hotrod programmer/sys-admin types
could use AWS (Amazon Web Services) to undercut the
going rate, and thereby make good money offering a comparative bargain.