Giving negative grade for wrong answers in multiple choice

Giving negative grade for wrong answers in multiple choice

от Angel de Castro -
Количество ответов: 14
Hi,

I want to know if it is possible to give a negative grade to wrong answered multiple choice questions. What I want to do is the following:

10 multiple choice questions, each one with an unique right answer
Each right answer means +1
Each wrong answer means -0.33
Each unanswered question means 0

For example, 7 right answers, 2 wrong answers and 1 question without answer would be 6.33.

I see that I can give a negative qualification to wrong answers, but once the quizz is done, each question has a qualification between 0 and the top, even if the answer had a negative qualification.

The kind of questions I am using are single answer multiple choice. I also tried multiple answers. In that case, if they choose the right answer (+100%) and a wrong answer (-33%) they obtain 0.67 in that question, but if the only aswer is wrong (-33%) they obtain 0 in that question, so the problem is the same.

Any comment/help?

Thanks in advance.
В ответ на Angel de Castro

Re: Giving negative grade for wrong answers in multiple choice

от Marcus Hoberg -

Hi Angel,

that´s an interesting topic, especially when switching from paper to electronic tests.

[giving negative grades for questions]
To be honest, we simply don´t do it because the worst result for a test is "zero". As a consequence: If the worst possible quiz result is zero, negative questions grades don´t make sense.

[partial credits]
We don´t give partial credits, because this ends up in endless discussions with students about how to value a correct or a wrong answer. In your example: Why is one correct answer = +100%, whereas one wrong answer is -33%? Or: if you have three wrongs answers, one of those is -33%, where in another question you may have two wrong answers, so any of those is -50% ?!?!?!

If you switch from paper to "e", the first question from students and teachers is always how to give credits to "ungiven incorrect answers", because this system is often used on paper (example: five answers: three correct, two incorrect; each answer = 0.2 credits, correct if checked, uncorrect if unchecked). But this seems to be inpossible in electronic systems? 

We simply use multiple choice with four options and only one is completely correct and gives +100%. The other three are incorrect or at least partially incorrect and give 0%. We give differentiated feedback for any answer. Since we use this we don´t have any discussion about partial credits.

Cheers, Marcus

В ответ на Marcus Hoberg

от Daniel McCloy -
I've seen a number of posts from different people in this forum saying some version of the same thing: "we don't do X (or moodle doesn't do X) because that doesn't make sense." Please consider the fact that not everybody uses this tool in the same way, and there may be many applications where the requested feature makes a great deal of sense.

One example I can think of for Angel's request is a driving-license exam: correct answers worth 1, but wrong answers vary in their amount of negative impact depending on whether they err on the side of caution or err on the side of recklessness. It is, I think, a good way of addressing the fact that "not all wrong answers are equally wrong" or, put another way, "it matters how you were wrong."

от Danny Whittaker -
One idea would be to add a 5th option: "Don't answer" with 33% credit.

This would make it similar to the SAT test:
Correct = 100%
Don't Answer = 25%
Wrong = 0%

You might need to tweak the numbers a little bit, and I'm not sure this will do quite what you want, but I think with these numbers, random guessing should balance out at the 25% mark for a grade, which seems to be your goal (though you were aiming at 0% for random guesses).

Does this work for you?

от Itamar Tzadok -
Here is a possible workaround which may at least allow you to display the desired mark in the grades report even if the quiz itself doesn't show that desired mark.

10 multiple choice questions, each one with an unique right answer
Each right answer means +10 (100% for a 10 point question)
Each wrong answer means +1 (10% for a 10 point question)
Each unanswered question means 0

The actual quiz grade item should be hidden and there should be a mirror grade item which takes the score of the quiz and pass it to a formula such as

=(||quiz||-mod(||quiz||,10)-(mod(||quiz||,10)*3.3))/10

So with your example of 7 right answers, 2 wrong answers and 1 question without answer the quiz score will be 72 but the calculated score will be:

(72-2-(2*3.3))/10=63.4/10=6.34

In the case of 3 right answers, 5 wrong answers and 2 question without answer the quiz score will be 35 but the calculated score will be:

(35-5-(5*3.3))/10=13.5/10=1.35

Some further fine-tuning may allow this approach to work also for the extreme case of all wrong answers.

улыбаюсь
В ответ на Itamar Tzadok

от Danny Whittaker -

>10 multiple choice questions, each one with an unique right answer
>Each right answer means +10 (100% for a 10 point question)
>Each wrong answer means +1 (10% for a 10 point question)
>Each unanswered question means 0
>
>The actual quiz grade item should be hidden and there should be a mirror grade >item which takes the score of the quiz and pass it to a formula such as
>
>=(||quiz||-mod(||quiz||,10)-(mod(||quiz||,10)*3.3))/10

This approach could also work for longer quizzes.  If you have less than 10 questions, use the numbers as given.  If you have between 10 and 99, change all the 10s to 100s, and give only 1% for a wrong answer.  (Will moodle allow 1%?)  If you have between 100 and 999, make the question worth 1000, but then you have to give .1% for wrong answers and I'm sure moodle wouldn't allow that!

В ответ на Danny Whittaker

от Itamar Tzadok -
For sure, but in more complex cases it may be much simpler to download the raw scores to an excel template that is preset to do the calcs and then upload the calculated scores to the gradebook. Just a couple of more clicks until the day comes when the quiz module recognize the positive side of negatives. улыбаюсь

от Angel de Castro -
Thank you for the ideas of workarounds. I had also thought something similar. I just wanted to see if there was a way I couldn't find to get Moodle do that automatically, without workarounds, but I guess there is no way (at least by the moment).

Thanks again,

Angel

от Tim Hunt -
Изображение пользователя Core developers Изображение пользователя Documentation writers Изображение пользователя Particularly helpful Moodlers Изображение пользователя Peer reviewers Изображение пользователя Plugin developers
This is one of the most voted for and long-standing feature requests: MDL-1647.

When I have finished my current re-write of the Moodle question engine, then it will be possible. Indeed, that bit of the new code already works find. I just need to finish the rest of it, and get it into a Moodle release.
В ответ на Tim Hunt

от Susana Caixinha -

Hello Tim,

I'm having the same problem and I wonder when will it be finished..

Thank you so much.

от Susana L. -
You can also make a minor change on your code.

Some older posts about it:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=47599

Code change summarized here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=85473

Cheers,
susana