custom landing page for course

custom landing page for course

by Pepijn Blom -
Number of replies: 2
I am working with a company to setup a Moodle system which will be used by about 40.000 people. Now I am having problems trying setup a landing page for a course.

Various institutions will link directly to the course and I have setup session based themes and group themes. This all works very nicely.

However, the company I am working for wants the course page to be very graphical and not using any of the default course formats. Basically just a big image with a few nice, colorful big text links. The actual course is a SCORM based Flash game..

Can anyone give me any tips or suggestions on how to do this?
If I have to I'll write my own Course Format, but I'd prefer not to have to code (I do nothing else all day long already...)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pepijn Blom

Re: custom landing page for course

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Pepijn,

My only thought would be to customise the My Moodle page - /my/index.php to incorporate the large image with the links. I realise that this is coding but should be less work than creating a course format. Then force everybody to use MyMoodle in the administration settings.

Cheers,

Gareth
In reply to Pepijn Blom

Re: custom landing page for course

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Pepijin

not exactly what you are asking for, but similar. Some time ago I created a course concept based on a very graphical idea.

This is the course page:
Course page

And this is a unit, linking to course activities and back to the course page:
Unit

This course uses the topics or weekly course format. All blocks are hidden and weeks/topics are not shown (via settings not via eye symbol) at the end.

Course starting page contains a table with pics and links to moodle webpages in the topics (picture1). The webpages contains introduction texts und buttons linking to a lesson, an assignment, a forum in this topic and a back button to the course page (picture2).

After all pages, activities and links are created in administration-settings you say visible topics/weeks1. Topic1/week 1 should be empty and hidden afterwards.

The main trick is that you can link to ressources and topics in invisible topics. There is a difference between hoden and invisible. Hidden means 'no access'. Invisible means 'not yet shown'.

This concept can be realized with all actual Moodle systems.

ralf