Using Moodle without Email Server

Using Moodle without Email Server

by Mark Bellinger -
Number of replies: 1
My name is Mark Bellinger.  I am serving in Jamaica with the Peace Corps.  My project is advocating the use of various technologies including Moodle. 

So, we have networked computer environments at schools and can use moodle as an instructional tool in a school.  Installation has been easy.  However, the schools we are going to use Moodle with do not have reliable internet connectivity and hence no available mail server.

As the system relies on email addresses to add users and confirm enrollment, I am not sure if I can just put in a bogus email addresses (as I have been doing).  Should I expect problems if I continue to do this?

My alternatives are:

- continue to use bogus email addresses and ignore the issue
- setup a SIMPLE mail server
- require an internet connection with an available smtp server

Please advise.

Thanks.

Mark
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Bellinger

Re: Using Moodle without Email Server

by Gunther Dippe -
Hi Mark,
As an admin you can always manually confirm them in the users list. Do use real e-mail addresses! The day you get a working Internet connection you and your users are all set!

One problem or rather nuisance is that Moodle might give some kind of error message about not being able to send emails but that should be a rather trivial pedagogical task to explain why to your users.

Good luck!
Cheers