Pass-No Pass Grade Items

Pass-No Pass Grade Items

by Joyce Aarsvold -
Number of replies: 2
I have a course that has a number of assignments, quizzes, etc. that I enter in Moodle gradebook using SWM. I simply want grades calculated as total points earned divided by total points possible. However, I also need to add several Pass/No Pass items that should not be included in the aggregation of the total course score. Every time I try to add a grade item for these Pass/No Pass items, Moodle gives them a default maximum grade of 2 points and it throws off the aggregation of the total course points.

What is the correct way to add grade items that are Pass/No Pass that don't affect the final course total?

Thanks a bunch for any help!

Joyce Aarsvold
joyce@gac.edu
Attachment Picture_1.png
In reply to Joyce Aarsvold

Re: Pass-No Pass Grade Items

by Itamar Tzadok -
There are various possible ways. First put all the count-for-final-grade items in one category and the other items in another category. Then, you can set the course category to weighted mean and set the count-for-final-grade category weight to 1.0 and the "ignore" category to 0.0. Another approach is to use a formula in the course category-total which will simply take the value of the count-for-final-grade category (something like =||count-for-final-grade||). Hope this helps. smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: Pass-No Pass Grade Items

by Joyce Aarsvold -
Thanks. I tried the two category method and although it didn't seem to work initially, when I reset the gradebook aggregation method and weights for the categories, it then calculated the scores as hoped. Thanks for the help!