Vista to Moodle: Is it possible to include quizzes in a lesson?

Vista to Moodle: Is it possible to include quizzes in a lesson?

by zack Belinson -
Number of replies: 4
Hi

We are trying to replicate a vista learning module in Moodle; the original is strudtured in a way similar to this:

1.welcome html page
1.1 practice quiz
2. instruction pdf
2.1 another pdf
2.2 short quiz
2.3 short quiz
2.4 short quiz
3. instruction pdf
3.1 short quiz
3.2 short quiz
etc etc etc

All quizzes include relatively simple calculated questions.

As far as I know, our options are either to use the Lesson Module (which does not enable you to include a quiz other than at the end of a lesson, and even then, it's only 1 quiz, we got plenty) or the Book module which does not enable you to include any content item other than simple html (we can create internal links to quizzes, however that leads to other problems because as soon as the student starts the quiz, he/she will be taken out of the book structure - or if we pop-up a window, the navigaion is still showing so there is the potential for the student to get lost and to mess things up).

Our need is simple (although technically it may not be):
We need to be able to build a learning module that includes content items already created in the course (html pages, pdfs and activities).

Any ideas? I'm sure we're not the only ones that would appreciate this, are we?

Thanks

(Edited by Chris Collman - original submission Sunday, 17 January 2010, 10:05 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to zack Belinson

Re: Is it possible to include quizzes in a lesson?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Zack,
The problem is that - like many - you want to use a new tool (Moodle) to replicate an old one. I suggest a different approach: exploring the whole range of resources and activities offered by the new tool (Moodle) to envisage a new teaching strategy, make the most of the new tool and maybe, into the bargain, provide your learners with a better learning experience.
All the best,
Joseph
PS.- On this topic of new tools and old ways, may I recommend my favorite article once again? Colleges Should Tap the Pedagogical Potential of the World-Wide Web by ALISTAIR B. FRASER
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Is it possible to include quizzes in a lesson?

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Zack,

You can use QuizPort to do what you want but please be warned that the learning curve is quite steep and it's still in beta. I have however already used it with real classes.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to zack Belinson

Re: Vista to Moodle: Is it possible to include quizzes in a lesson?

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Zack,
I would pay attention to Glenys and Joseph's suggestions. Initially, I was thinking you might want Activity Lockingas an alternative toHotPot, then I realized you were switching from a higher priced LMS that basically did not have some of these advanced features.

Chico State says "{Vista}Learning modules are an organizational tool useful for connecting course content, such as lecture outlines and files to activities within the course such as quizzes, discussions, and chat rooms...so it's helpful to think of a module as a list of things to read, use, or do within a particular timeframe, such as a week, or within a course content section such as a textbook chapter.." My translation: a Vista Learning Module is a Moodle Topic/Section, absolutely not a Lesson module.

As Joseph said, you have to rethink things. I have the same issue with other LMSs, they use the same language but meanings are entirely different. I am not seeing any dependency/conditional criterion other than time in Vista, thus HotPot, Activity Locking and Lesson conditions/dependencies base upon grade/score will be an entirely new feature or tool for you in a LMS.

Give the above, I would using activity locking to set criterion for advancing, if necessary (which if the Moodle course and Vista module is supplementing a F2F classroom probably is not required). And/or similar to Vista, in Moodle I would hide and reveal elements of the course, if necessary either manually or via activity and other time/date settings available within Moodle.

You could put your outline above in a single Course section. The HTML intro is either in the topic heading, or a description page as the first page in the Quiz, or added as a resource (compose web page) link.

The PDFs could be individual resource links or they could be accessed by a link to a resource directory.

I would not use Lesson at all, unless I wanted to present (remedial) instructional material based upon a student's answer to a specific question, or had some security issues with PDFs and had a long term project to convert them to HTML pages.

Again, I think this is off topic for this forum because your post is really about how to convert another LMS into Moodle. However, the forum moderator is not going to move it, because the post seems to be an increasingly FAC (frequently asked concept) in this forum. big grin

Best wishes in your conversion and Welcome to Moodle!

Chris