Can categories and courses be hidden depending on role?

Can categories and courses be hidden depending on role?

by N Hansen -
Number of replies: 1
As I understand it, all courses and categories have three possible states of visibility (here I am talking about seeing the general metadata and existence, not entering a course)-1 visible and accessible, 2-completely invisible and inaccessible to certain users, 3-greyed out but accessible to certain users (usually admins). 2 and 3 can be possible for a particular course or category at the same time, but as far as I can tell, it is not possible to combine 1 and 2 for the same course.

We need 1 for registered users and 2 for guests or students not enrolled in a course, applied to one and the same category of courses or a particular course. I cannot see that there is a way to do this at present, even via roles. Am I correct in my understanding?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to N Hansen

Re: Can categories and courses be hidden depending on role?

by Julian ter Huurne -
Seems to me that it should be possible to combine your 1 and 2 option, though I'm not 100% sure if I get what you exactly mean.

If you set the moodle/category:visibility or moodle/course:viewhiddencourses for the registered user to 'allow' and the guests to 'prevent', you should be able to show/hide the same course / category depending on the role.

However, I do not know if any course summary info (from the course settings) would become visible in any of the blocks, frontpage or My Moodle.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Julian