backup/restore zipped assignments in a course ?

backup/restore zipped assignments in a course ?

by Erlyn Baack -
Number of replies: 5

Hi!  I'd like to better understand backup/restore with a small course on a website host.  I backup the course nightly and download the zipped file and restore it on localhost and also in another website host.  I always restore "replace class deleting old one first," and both restores go without a hitch; it's great the way it works; even the concept is amazing!  (Thanks, Martin! wink )  The zipped file, however, is now 1.6 mb with about 600kb in the moddata/assignments files folder, the biggest part RTF essays my students have uploaded.

I wonder if it would be possible to zip those files in place, download the zipped file, then delete the assignments and the zipped file and backup the course.  That would leave about 1000 kb. 

Then, after the smaller 1000 kb course is restored, would it be possible to upload the zipped assignments and restore those in the new location?  Is that a possible workaround to the 2mb limit?

I hope that makes sense!  I'd just like to keep backing up the course for security and then save it when it's over, and I think it'll take about 2.5 mb.  Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Erlyn Baack

Re: backup/restore zipped assignments in a course ?

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Erlyn,

I really think that your suggested approach won't work (and lose of data is possible if playing with the "moddata" directory directly.

So I think that the best solutions is to use standard backups and, if you aren't able to change the 2mb max uploadsize (press the link!!) you should use other file-transfer alternatives (ftp....).

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Erlyn Baack -

OK, Eloy, thanks a lot!  Right now I'm just experimenting with some "restore" alternatives because I'm a little paranoid about my website host sad .  As it is, I backup nightly, and will try the alternative you mentioned when the backup zip file gets over 2 mb.

Saludos!

by Ger Tielemans -

It would be a great help if there would grow a new way of back-ups:

• create a button "section backup"
  • starting with a special view on the sections-overview (with checkboxes) a user can mark the section(s) he wants to go in the backup
  • the only thing a user has to do is organise sensible sections for single or set backup
  • during this kind of backup, an extra page could be added for metadata description (see all these world standards)
  • in a special created Moodle called "subsection store" you can preview these single sections (or sets of sections) OR search on base of the metadata..

my 5 cents

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Ger,

to do that, what could be a nice functionality, the "allow backup of individual activities" must be implemented before (and this project is now practically "paused" sad). I've to start, I know, but I'm really very busy. As it is a very looong task, I need 1-2 months of "peace" to tackle it.

Some day (soon I hope). Ciao smile

by Ger Tielemans -
I have enough Moodle options to test first, so in two years..