Newbie to HotPot

Newbie to HotPot

by Pernilla Stolpe Johansson -
Number of replies: 8
Hello everyone,

I've been looking around in the forum but haven't been able to find answers yet. I'm completely new to Moodle and I am really starting to like, it's a fantastic tool.

Now I'm interested in how to make a HotPot-quiz. I managed to activate it so I can find it in my list of activities, but then what? Could you please guide me in how to do a HotPot-file, what extension should it have, in what program should I do it and other important details that come to you mind.

Hope you have time to help me!

Thanks a lot,
Pernilla
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pernilla Stolpe Johansson

Re: Newbie to HotPot

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there and welcome to Moodle smile yes -we have plenty of time to help you! Basicaly the hotpot module is just the place where you upload hotpotatoes quizzes so they work in moodle's gradebook. YOu download hotpotatoes offline and make the quizzes (matchup/cloze/crossword/jumbled sentences/multichoice) and then upload to Moodle. Here is the link to download hotpotatoes: http://hotpot.uvic.ca/index.php#downloads and it is entirely free!
In reply to Mary Cooch

Wow, what a quick response, thank you!

I've downloaded and installed with success, now I'm gonna experiment.. =0)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Mary Cooch

wow, this program is super easy to use! I have one more question though. I've chosen spanish as muy language as my students are spanish speaking. With the Hot Potatoe program there is no problem, everything is shown in spanish. But when I uploaded it to Moodle, the instruction text still is in english. Do you know if it is possible to change this?

thanks!

by Mary Cooch -
Assuming the hotpot module has been translated into Spanish which I am sure it must have, then you need to select the Spanish language from the language section on the site admin on the front page of your Moodle You might need to add the Spanish language pack if you didn't already. If you do a search for language packs in the mooodle docs that should point you in the right direction.
In reply to Mary Cooch

Unfortunately I already have the spanish package installed, everything around the hotpot is in spanish, even the update botton:
"Actualizar Hot Potatoe Quiz" but the instruction text still stays: "Put the parts in order to form a sentence. When you think your answer is correct, click on "Check" to check your answer. If you get stuck, click on "Hint" to find out the next correct part."

Other ideas?

by Mary Cooch -
Oh sorry - I thought you meant within Moodle but you mean when making the hotpotato. When you have a hotpotato exercise made in project format click on the icon that says configuration screen and that lets you change the wording of your exercise - I am a languages teacher and this is where I change my instructions to French/German(EDIT: oh -also - when you first set it up you could actually have chosen the default language to be Spanish, but I tend to stick with English and then change the languages to suit me by actually typing the words in myself)